• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to reverse a path

Enthusiast ,
May 25, 2020 May 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Paths panel, my path appears as white for the area I don't want within the path and black for the area that I do want within the path. 

How can I invert the path so that it show up as white in the area that I want within the path and black outside the path.

I saw that someone suggested first creating a selection from the path and then turning the selection into a path. I prefer not to use that solution because in the process of doing that the path becomes less accurate.

Is there a better way to inverse the path?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 25, 2020 May 25, 2020

Select the path, then in the main menu bar select "Combine Shapes." If it's already set on that, you might need to use "Subtract Front Shape."

path.jpg
"

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select the path, then in the main menu bar select "Combine Shapes." If it's already set on that, you might need to use "Subtract Front Shape."

path.jpg
"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks, Chuck!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And in the future please post meaningful screenshots including the pertinent Panels right away. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2023 May 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a better way to inverse the path, which is a keyboard shortcut for invert selection in Photoshop. To invert an existing selection without touching your mouse, just press Ctrl+Shift+i on a PC or Command+Shift+i on a Mac.

Learn more about how to invert selection in Photoshop.

Anita Sprankle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We were talking about Paths, not Selections, so your advice seems to miss the point. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just to make sure: Are you aware of Vector Masks and Clipping Paths (or Paths in general as used in Indesign for clipping placed pixel images)? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines