• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to scale lines and keep them the same size

New Here ,
Feb 01, 2023 Feb 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I had this same issue the last time I used Photoshop. I'm an illustrator and do a lot of line art currently, and with Photoshop converting to smart object is apparently supposed to allow scaling lines up or down while keeping them the same size.

I'm not having any luck with that function and need some help. I'm sarting courses soon online and we need to use Photoshop. If I can't resize the lines and it makes them too thick or thin my projects are going to look weird.

What is the way to allow me to scale lines without making them too thick or thin?

Thank you

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@caseyb36970641 wrote:

I'm an illustrator and do a lot of line art currently,

Have you considered using Adobe Illustrator which is a vector application and made for line art as opposed to Photoshop with is raster and whose core function is photo editing?

Illustrator has a feature called Scale Strokes that can be toggled on or off. For instance, if you have a logo with varying line widths and scale it 30 times larger to 1/30 smaller, the strokes will all scale proportionally when it is on. It works the same way if you have a rectangle with a stroke and manually resize it — it's your choice if the strokes scale or not.

Illustrator is the best application for line art. Photoshop is best for photo manipulation.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll try illustrator then. I downloaded it also I have the student discount suite. I was using Photoshop because they say it's the industry standard for illustrators and professional concept artists even use it. But I'm not seeing why at this moment.

Thank you for the suggestion and the help I'll try illustrator instead next time I draw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@caseyb36970641 

I use both. The good news is that paths can be copied and pasted between the applications. If you are in Illustrator you can copy, then when you go to Photoshop and choose Edit > Paste you have five choices as to how you want to paste.

I have a project now that is in Photoshop and am about to take it into Illustrator. Often it's the other way around.

Line art is absolutely best in Illustrator!

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines