Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to select an action via script?

New Here ,
Aug 16, 2013 Aug 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'd like to select an action in the Photoshop using script.

An example will be as follows, selecting "Aged Photo".

How could I do so?

Your help is very much appreciated.

Untitled-1.jpg

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By using the SctiptListener plugin, you can run your action and it will generate the code to run the action.  You can then keep this code and just edit the name of the action if you want to use it for different actions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've actually tried that before posting this question.

The ScriptListener plugin outputs most of the command.

Unfortunately, it doesn't output anything for selection done on Action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So are you saying that if there is a step in the action that creates a selection the script does not recognize it bypasses it?  Or do you mean if you have a selection before you run the script it does not recognize and use that selection?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the OP wants to select or highlight an action in the action panel. As far as I can tell it can't be done with a script. That is not logged by scriptlistener nor is it recorded in an action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That makes sense, Mike.  Most likely would have to split the action into peices then to do that.  I used to combine the two, but it turned out better just to do everything with the script, as then you don't have to worry about the actions being loaded if you upgrade, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Michael, it is not logged by the ScriptListener which is a problem for me.

That's why I'm wondering if anyone knows or has came across to selecting an action in the action panel via script because that's my main objective.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2013 Aug 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Is there any solution for my question?

I just need to highlight or select the particular action using script.

I do not need to playback.

I really wish there is a solution. Your help is very much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like it can't be done.  If I'm understanding this correctly, you would need to break down your action into smaller actions that you can then use SL to record.  Frankly, if you have to do that, you might as well record your whole action as a script.  That way you have total control over it and you don't have to worry about having both the script and action loaded on the computer, which could cause a break in your script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for trying to help, csuebele.

However, my main objective is just to show the highlighting/selection of Action on the Photoshop based on the selection done by the user on the device (via ConnectionSDK and script).

As for playback, I can use the script logged provided by the ScriptListener. So, I don't think I need to break anything into smaller actions or anything along that way.

Have a nice day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines