• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to set preference to automatically save file as PSD in same folder as original file?

Explorer ,
Apr 10, 2020 Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and upgraded to latest version of Photoshop Classic, and prior to then I would open a photo in Photoshop from Lightroom.  After editing I used to 'Close' (Ctrl +W) and it would automatically 'save as' the edited version (a PSD) in same folder as the original photo and automatically take me back edited photo in Lightroom.

However, I can't fathom how to set the preferences to do this in udated Photoshop Classic.  When I Cntrl+W to close an edited file it brings up the 'Save As' dialogue and I don't want to have to find the original folder to specify every time.  In the preferences I can't find anything where I can ask it to save files as PSD every time and save to original folder and then take me back to Lightroom.  It mentions preview images save to original folder and this is checked but the 'save as' dialogue still opens.

Can anyone help please?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

originalfolder.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! yu can find the preferences towards the bottom of the Edit menu, or invoke them with CTRL+K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but I've already been through the preferences and it doesn't fix the issue.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you restart Photoshop after making the change?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 13, 2020 Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, but I have now and issue remains. 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I can understand your problem correctly then you should see dialogue asking whether you want to save changes with three options. If you click Yes then Photoshop should save file next to one which is open from Lightroom without any dialogue. I tested with Save As to Original Folder unchecked and it does not make any difference. Photoshop is saving file as expected without any Save As dialogue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The dialogue box asks me to specify which folder I want to save as to.  But I would have to do this with every photo I edit in photoshop.  In my old version of photoshop I didn't have to keep doing this - it just automatically saved the photo as a PDF to same folder original file was in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that was the first thing I checked but it doesn't make any difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could use a script.

The following code will save a PSD to the same location as the original, overwriting the original and automatically close the file without any dialog window. Use at your own risk, I have tested the script, however you should make sure that you are happy with how it performs by working on dupes before putting it to use on original files.

#target photoshop

/* Start Unsaved Document Error Check - Part A: Try */
unSaved();

function unSaved() {
    try {
        app.activeDocument.path;
        /* Finish Unsaved Document Error Check - Part A: Try */

/* Main Code Start */

// File Naming Code
        var d = app.activeDocument;
        var dName = d.name.replace(/\.[^\.]+$/, '');
        var dPath = d.path;

// File Saving Code
        var saveFilePSD = new File(dPath + '/' + dName + '.psd');
        SavePSD(saveFilePSD);

// PSD Options
        function SavePSD(saveFilePSD) {
            psdSaveOptions = new PhotoshopSaveOptions();
            psdSaveOptions.embedColorProfile = true;
            psdSaveOptions.alphaChannels = true;
            psdSaveOptions.layers = true;
            psdSaveOptions.annotations = true;
            psdSaveOptions.spotColors = true;
            activeDocument.saveAs(saveFilePSD, psdSaveOptions, true, Extension.LOWERCASE);
        }

d.close(SaveOptions.DONOTSAVECHANGES);

/* Main Code Finish */

/* Start Unsaved Document Error Check - Part B: Catch */
    } catch (err) {
        alert('An image must be both open and previously saved before running this script!')
    }
}
/* Finish Unsaved Document Error Check - Part B : Catch */

https://prepression.blogspot.com/2017/11/downloading-and-installing-adobe-scripts.html

Once installed, you can set a custom keyboard shortcut to the script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 11, 2020 Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  I do not wish to overwrite the original - I just wish to save the edited version (via 'save as') to the same folder as RAW file.

surely this is a basic request - I don't understand why Photoshop has changed the ability to do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 11, 2020 Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The script should only overwrite a .psd with the same name. I don't know why you are having these issues, good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 12, 2020 Apr 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does any know what the save as option of 'image previews' means in file saving options in the preferences box?  Why 'previews' rather than just 'image'?  

From Lightroom I used to be able to open any image file in  Photoshop, edit it, then close the image file which would bring up a 'save as' window where I simply specified whether I wanted to save as a Jpg, TIFF or PSD, etc.  But it would always save to same folder that the image that I just brought into Photoshop from Lightroom was in.  And then I would be taken back to Lightroom automatically where the edited image would open up.  And next to the unedited and any previous edited versions.  I forgot to add that now when I go back 8nto Lightroom it hasn't saved to my Lightroom catalogue and I have to import it.   So now I'm wondering if there is some preference in Photoshop where you ask it to add the saved image to Lightroom catalog too?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 12, 2020 Apr 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

“Image previews” isn’t a different kind of file. It always saves the image. The option affects whether the image file has extra image previews inside. Some apps (but not Photoshop) will use them to preview the file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't use Lr – just make sure that you save/close or close/save rather than save as and you should be good.

Try googling the topic of a roundtrip from Lr to Ps back to Lr.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 13, 2020 Sep 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am having the same issue.  Nothing written so far addresses this issue.  Each time the answer is to use the File Handling Preference is Photoshop.  Even if you do select the "Save As to Original Folder" Photoshop will not do this.  I am running Windows 10 and the lastest version of Photoshop. 

The issue again.  Using "Save As" to save a file back to it's original folder without having to direct it to do so each time you use Save As isn't working. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2021 Oct 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have this issue and it is most frustrating.  And no, it is ridiculous to have to write a script to have photoshop act as it formerly did.  And like others I do not see any solution in the replies.  Why has photoshop themselves not replied with any information as to this basic change in performance?  There are many other subtle changes to photoshop's performance with the latest updates for which I have not seen any documentation.  Most disappointing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 05, 2021 Oct 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you launch Photoshop and go to Help > System Info... what does the version say in the top line?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeffrey, I always have the latest version. This is a real issue. It has nothing to do with versions. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Completely agree. Cannot fathom why this was taken away. Really frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2023 Oct 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I found that if go to "Export" under "File", then "Export Preferences" and change the check box under"Export Location" to "Export the assets to the location of the current document" a "Save As" will bring up the original location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines