• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to set "save for web" to 96dpi

New Here ,
Jan 09, 2010 Jan 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new stanard for web graphics is 96dpi, instead of 72dpi, because the internet is getting faster and monitors are getting sharper. Yet Photoshop still sets images to 72dpi when you use the "save for web" feature. I have tried and tried and can't seem to find a way to change this. Anyone know how to do this? - Chad Spillars

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 09, 2010 Jan 09, 2010

"Would a 7 dpi image load faster than a 72 dpi image because it would have a smaller file size?"

No, you're still associating dpi with filesize. Don't. There is no link.

DPI only relates to how you print an image and is meaningless without inches (document size) also being specified (dpi = how many image dots per inch of paper) e.g. 10" x 8" @ 300dpi.

On the web, all that matters is the number of pixels (width x height) and image compression: (JPG, GIF, PNG)

If you want a 300 x 300 pixel image for t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are saving for web use, only the pixel count matters. The dpi setting is for controlling prints. You can always set the dpi to whatever you want, however, by clicking on Image > Image Size  and in the Document Size portion of the dialog box change the resolution.

Paulo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been told that most of the newer monitors are set to 96 dpi, which is why I want to optimize my graphics at that setting. If dpi doesn't matter, as I've heard many people say, then why even use 72 dpi? Why not set all images to 10 dpi or even 5 dpi? Imagine how fast the site would load! I'm not trying to be rude or sarcastic. Just looking for answers

Chad Spillars

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chad Spillars wrote:

I have been told that most of the newer monitors are set to 96 dpi, which is why I want to optimize my graphics at that setting. If dpi doesn't matter, as I've heard many people say, then why even use 72 dpi? Why not set all images to 10 dpi or even 5 dpi? Imagine how fast the site would load! I'm not trying to be rude or sarcastic. Just looking for answers

Look no further, your answer is here.

http://www.scantips.com/no72dpi.html

This is an important article. (And the whole web site is a goldmine of information.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forget monitor settings and dpi. You'll just confuse yourself.

In addition to the excellent Scantips link, see also

http://blog.patyuen.com/lessons/the-72-dpi-myth/

http://apptools.com/examples/dpi.php

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is all EXTREMELY helpful thank you everyone! But this new knowldge I have that dpi "doesn't matter" leaves me wondering, what DPI should I use when I save my images for web? If it really doesn't make any difference, then I could use ANY dpi setting. So I guess I will just keep on using 72 DPI. Is that what you guys use? I mean, according to that article that posted from scantips I could save my images at 7 dpi and they would look fine on the web. Would a 7 dpi image load faster than a 72 dpi image because it would have a smaller file size?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Would a 7 dpi image load faster than a 72 dpi image because it would have a smaller file size?"

No, you're still associating dpi with filesize. Don't. There is no link.

DPI only relates to how you print an image and is meaningless without inches (document size) also being specified (dpi = how many image dots per inch of paper) e.g. 10" x 8" @ 300dpi.

On the web, all that matters is the number of pixels (width x height) and image compression: (JPG, GIF, PNG)

If you want a 300 x 300 pixel image for the web, prepare the image to those dimensions then Save For Web as JPG, GIF or PNG. Forget DPI because it has no influence on how your image looks on screen.

Just width x height measured in pixels. The more pixels, the bigger the filesize.

Smaller images (less pixels) with more compression download faster.

100x100 pixel images download faster than 300x300 pixel images but they're smaller on screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2010 Jan 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everyone! That helps a TON 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same question as the original author, but in my case DPI does matter. I'm trying to insert a GIF into Outlook, but that particular application renders 72 dpi images as blurry because it tries to scale them up to 96 dpi.  Does anyone actually know how to change the DPI/PPI setting for Save to Web?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That can't happen. Save For Web strips resolution altogether. There is no ppi at all, not 72, not 96, not anything. It's just pixels.

Any application reopening the file will assign its own default value. Photoshop assigns 72, the native Windows applications assign 96.

So there is no 72 > 96. It goes directly to 96. If the size is wrong, you need to export at a different pixel size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ppi is the proper term for image files. It replaced dpi some time back. Image files are composed of pixels not dots.

Experiment for yourself. in File > New dialog box and plug in any ppi from 1 to 9999 and look at the imagesize.

1280 x 800 px for an RGB file is 2.93 MB 1 or 9999 ppi.

The ppi is just instructions to the printer as to how many pixels should be printed per inch of paper.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thansk for the replys i had the same issue before

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines