• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to transfer a creation from one psd to the other?

Engaged ,
Sep 25, 2022 Sep 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Up front: I am far, I mean far from being an expert! 

I have created two photoshop files, both having a number of layers. One is a kind of 'stamp' with wishes, the name of my wife and that of mine,  and an adjustable date. The other one is a birthday card.

Right now, to get the stamp on the birthday card I update the date, take a screencapture with a screencapture tool and import that into the birthday .psd, then adjust size, rotate, etc.
In the end I again take a screencapture of it all and email the card.
I agree...,

this is the 'starting amateur' way.

I wonder whether it is possible to combine the stamp file into the postcard, with all the layers an all.

Thanks!

Later... matter solved.

As a test I dragged the layers from on psd into the others, selected them and created a smart object. Probably this is the solution?  Regretfully I can not delete my post.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 25, 2022 Sep 25, 2022

Make your changes and Save the first document.

In the second document, use File > Place Linked and drop the first document into the second document, transforming the size if required. Save the second document.

With that method, if you update the first document and save it, the changes will be made in the second document when you re-open it. Don't move the disk location though or change the filename or you will break the link.

Some background : https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/photoshop/how-to/photoshop-linked-smart-objects.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make your changes and Save the first document.

In the second document, use File > Place Linked and drop the first document into the second document, transforming the size if required. Save the second document.

With that method, if you update the first document and save it, the changes will be made in the second document when you re-open it. Don't move the disk location though or change the filename or you will break the link.

Some background : https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/photoshop/how-to/photoshop-linked-smart-objects.html

For making a version to send in an email - use File > Save A Copy and choose PDF . That will give you a printable file. Alternatively, if that file size is too big to send, use File > Export > Export As (or Save for Web) and choose jpeg /png as the format. The former is best for photos the latter for graphical images.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Super!
Thank you so much.
Truly appreciated!
I will give that a try.
For a moment I was wondering whether files could be linked one way or the other, but assumed, whilst being nice, the chances would be remote so I did not 'investigate' it any further.
Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines