• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to update all smart object mockup in the same files at once?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2019 Oct 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi there, i know there's a way to link smart object to external files.

But what if i want to update all the mock up template in the same PSD file?

That means the same image, but will be updated to two different mock-up templats in the same PSD.

the attached file show there are two different styles of the mockup. i can't do all at once, but need to update separately one by one.

test.jpg

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was originally posted in the Community Help forum.

This forum is for help using the forum. You already asked this question and I moived it to the Correct forum, the Photoshop forum. I'm moving this one there too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your question lack much details. A PSD with many mockups within it is very vague. The image you posted 4 or 5 items and a round button with RFID on the button.  Do all these items represent mockup templates that have only two styles. 

I have seen many mockup in my day. However, I do not even understand what you are trying to do.  Template are normally a single PSD file that may have many items in the template. However the items are normally products the may have some design element changed when the mockup is populated with design changes.  The items are part of the mockup template the items are not additional mockups.  Having many mockup within a mockup would be very hard to use a making design changes within design changes.   Adobe also discarded all thread older than three years old so much knowledge trashed caned

How may mockup jpegs do you want to create? How do you intend to use this multiple mockup PSD file?   Mockup are normally  used ins some batch process. Processing need to be straight forward so it can be automated .  Your idea of a PSD file with many mockups within it seems overly complex and would require an extensive design process and a team of programmers to automate its use.

A while back someone posted a modkup PSD that had 84 layer group each layer group was a product was a mockup. There was also a Smart object that was share by all the mockup. The Smart object itself was a layed psd containing 41 label disigns in 41 layers.  The mockup PSD file was 1GB+  and IMO unusable with alll their work in a single unuseable file  the was obet 1GB and would continue to grow as products were added. I broke that single PSD file into  84 Mockup Psd files and I broke the Smart object out into  41 design files and reduced the share object  to a single label .   I wrote a script to populate the 84 mockup PSD templates with the 41 label designs files. It took the script hours to create the 3,444 populated jpeg mockup files. 

If search worked here you may be able the find that thread. I could because I was involved and could pick some odd words to search on not get the 1001 hits search is known to produce where you can link to the first 9 or so hits. Though I found it the thread has been mutilated so it not easy to scroll through

Candy jars

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry to confuse you. i write more on below reply. i might use the wrong term so it confused you. as mentioned below. it's the mock up file with differnt angles, and each has its own smart object layer. i just need to update 1 smart object by dragging the new image, then the other two will be updated automatically. i found one of the angles looks nice so i drag it to a new mockp files, i.e. the currect mock up file i am working with, there are two angles of the products, but now i don't now how to make these two layers of smart objects updated the same time automatically. so i need to click smart object A - drag a pic and update it. then open smart object B, drag the same image again and update it. i just try to figure out how to link these two layers of smart objects without doing the same thing twice. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 18, 2019 Oct 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are confused about dragging and dropping images on smart object layers.  That does not  replace or change the layers smart object. Dropping an image onto a Photoshop document will create a new layer in the document.  You cam change the Smart object  using replace content or opening the objects and change the object and committing the changes in the work file. When Photoshop see the work files has been updated it will updated the layer's smart object and generate new pixels for the layers content.  All smart object layers that share the object in the document will have their pixels replaced.  Using Ctrl+J or Layer duplicate is often use in mockup templates to create layer that share an object.  Each smart object layers associated layer transform will position scale and distort the object for its use in the mockup's composite.   Often the  top of the layer stack contain smart object layers the have other layers the share these object.  The top later visible is often not visible fill, opacity can be set to 0 and the layer visibility can be set off.   It is easy to batch populate these mockups templates all a script need do the to update the top smart object layers objects in the layer stack using replace content or editing the existing object.There need to be a replacement object queue for each  of the top smart object layers. Photoshop Photo Collage and Mockup Toolkit

10 Smart object layers tha all share the same object. The ate 10 different associated layer transforms foe that object/  The tou  layer not visible the othe nine are. The object is am image with transpatent gackgroumd 3840x2160 with black texy 3840px By 2160px  300DPI

clipboard_image_0.png

clipboard_image_0.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm not sure if I'm understanding it correctly but it sounds like you have 1 image that you would like to appeare twice in a separate PSD or you have 1 image that appears in 2 separate PSD's... to do this, go to File>Place Linked and bring in the external file. When you update the external file, your images should be linked.

Here's a video showing you what I mean:

https://youtu.be/POfaX3g1oY8

If I missunderstood you, please provide us with more information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh. no i am not talking about the external file to link psd. i watched videos and understand that.

what i mean is i have a psd file. and the product will be displayed in different angles. 

there's a layer as "smart object", so when i click the smart object, then i can drag a picture over it and then it will automatically updated the image onto the mockup.

let say there's a PSD mock up file, there's 3 different angles A, B, C. they all share the same image. Then when i drag a picture on A smart object, it will automatically updated B& C on the same PSD file.

so now the problem is i drag one of the template smart object from File 1 (e.g. smart object A) to my current PSD file. 

now i don't know how to do the same thing, when i click the sourse smart object file, drag a new picture and it's updated. that one is ok. but another smart object (that the one i drag from another PSD file) can't updated automatically, i need to click the smart object and upload a new pic separately, in order to make both of the pictures look the same.

i know there's a way to link two smart objects, i.e. i update 1 then the other one will be updated automatically. I knew it's possible because the orignal PSD mock up file i got. there are 3 different angles sharing the same image. i just need to click 1 smart object, then the other two will be automatically updated.

orignally, there are two mock up files. but i move one of smart object to the current one.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2020 Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The opposite of your question is my problem. 

I have two smart objects but I just want to update one at a time. 

It seems the two keeps updating the same thing for the two objects. 

I am creating a business card mock-up and I want to be able to update the front design to the first smart object and the back design to the second smart object.

Anyone know what is happening?? 

Screenshot (87).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 10, 2020 Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No.  It most likely your template is not compatible.  With what you post we can not see you template structure. Also the script updates all the smart objects you want updated and saves a  jpeg. Your front and back views must be is different areas in a flat jpeg file.  If you want the front and back in the same area you would need a Layered document which would not be usable on the web. You would need to save two jpegs from your layered document one for the front view one for the rear view.  The Script can save one of the Jpeg views and the Layered document if you create the template where either the front or rear view is visible and you check the save psd option. You can use the psd file in Photoshop and  to save the other jpeg image you need.  IMO if you want to waste your time and have thee files for your mockup instead one or two jpegs and have to Photoshop each layers version yourself  you can. Myself  I would go with one side by side front and rear views or two mockups one for the front one for the rear. 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2023 Jul 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello I Understood Your Issue Please Make Sure You dont CTRL+C Then CTRL+SHIFT+V , What You HAVE To Do simply Create on smart Object Then the Same Layer go to }Layer }Duplicate Layer Then when you change one Photo insite the smart Object Every Smart Object Will Change ! Try It Now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines