• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I cannot associate files with Adobe Photoshop CC

Explorer ,
Jun 20, 2013 Jun 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since installing Photoshop CC, I cannot associate jpg's or psd's with Photoshop CC. I have used the "open with..." dialog box (something I have done a million times, so I know what I'm doing), but after choosing Photoshop, it does not appear in the list of recommended or other programs and will not open the jpg or psd file in Photoshop.

FYI, I installed Photoshop CC while Photoshop CS6 was still on my computer. I then deinstalled Photoshop CS6 and that is when I noticed the problem.

Please help...this is extremely frustrating.

Thank you!!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jun 21, 2013 Jun 21, 2013

***I BELIEVE I HAVE FOUND THE ROOT CAUSE AND SOLUTION***

After looking at a new user's registry HKEY_CURRENT_USER and comparing it to the one on the original user, I found a registry value which was not changed, and should have been.

I found a key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Applications\Photoshop.exe\shell\open\command

This key was set to the path for Photoshop CS6 when it should have been set to Photoshop CC.

In other words, in my case, it was set to:

"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photosh

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 197 Replies 197
Explorer ,
Oct 14, 2016 Oct 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS DOES NOT WORK!  I USED TO WORK IN IT...I know how to associate a file...it DOES NOT work like it's supposed to

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 03, 2013 Nov 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone found that ADOBE is no longer helpful? I have tried to get this answer from them. No help whatsover with this question. They go off on a tangent. I am hoping that ADOBE might look at your question, same as mine. ADOBE seem to hide from forums these days. An answer here for Windows - no mac I can't see. The problem is that I can no longer set my jpg preferences to open in Photoshop CC it always reverts to CS6 - I need to have both versions of software on my computer. However, I want Photoshop CC to be my prime application. How can I change my preferences? I am on Mac 10.7.5. I have already gone through the normal method of changing preferences through the info panel and change all. Unsolved ADOBE Case #0184629973. Perhaps Adobe know how to fix this now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2013 Nov 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're not comfortable changing your registry, this worked for me:

1. Uninstall Photoshop CC

2. Restart computer

3. Reinstall Photoshop CC

4. Important: When asked if you want to import your presets from your previous version, select "No".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 18, 2013 Nov 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks mwnd - Sadly I had to uninstall Photoshop Cs6 but will install it again later. I was trying to avoid that. But at least the association now comes up by default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jun 29, 2014 Jun 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now a whole new issue with the installation of 2014. "open" and "edit" now work fine, launching 2014. But "Open with..." (eg. when opening a jpg) only gives me the option of opening with CC, no CC 2014 in sight. Even when I drill down to "choose default program" and select CC 2014, it still reverts back to CC and opens with that. It is so unbelievably frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2014 Jun 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get the opposite - 'Open with' on a JPEG gives the option of CC 2014 (and not CC). However, 'Open with' on a TIFF gives both CC 2014 and CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2014 Jun 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My problem is with jpg's only. "Open With" only lists Photoshop cc for jpg's and I can't add CC 2014 to the list. Even when I select CC 2014 it adds another CC icon. My work around is to set Bridge as my default viewer where there is no association problem with CC 2014. Raw, TIF, etc all list CC 2014 among Open With choices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jul 08, 2014 Jul 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly, and unsurprisingly I have to say, Adobe did not fix this installation bug with the release of CC 2014. So we will need to go back to middleagedhack's registry hack and change the key now to "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2014\Photoshop.exe" "%1". Hmmph.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2014 Jul 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue after installing the new CC 2014 versions.  I installed 2014 and then deleted the previous CC version and lost all file associations and the ability to create the associations (programs did not appear in selections).  I solved it by running a registry cleaner (cclearner) to get rid of the old registry values.  Once I did that, I was able to create the file associations.  The programs still did not appear in the selections - but when I browsed to the correct program and selected it - it did add it to the programs (which did not work before I ran the cleaner).  I was also able to right click on some file types and -choose the default program (Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop showed up in the right click after running the registry cleaner). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 28, 2014 Jul 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the registry edit works but there is more to it. First I went from CS6 Creative Suite to CS6 Cloud. Then to CS 2014 and then again to CS CC (64-bit). All of these directories still exist for InDesign, Illustrator, PS, etc. but are empty except the CC 2014 versions yet all the registry keys point to CC (64-bit). I changed the open key to the only directory that actually contained a .exe and everything now works. You can check the path by looking at the targets in the Short Cuts. This is all pretty screwy. Not sure who is bugging it but it sure looks like Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2014 Sep 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This same problem happened when CC updated in the last month. The file path for Photoshop seemed to have changed from ../../Adobe Photoshop (64 bit) to ../../Adobe Photoshop CC 2014. I used the above mention Regedit fix to change the incorrect file path.

Adobe Photoshop install script/software development team/QA department, if you're listening, this seems like an easy fix, but in any case a fix that needs fixing. I was not only unable to open certain files from my OS but Photoshop no longer interfaced correctly with my printer...when I fixed the registry path value everything went back to normal...users should not have to edit their registry to use your software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 08, 2014 Oct 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 23, 2014 Oct 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it reasonable to assume this oculd happen to indesign. Since I upgraded to indesign, I noted I was running low on my boot drive so deleted the old version, now all my indesign files have no association, and any attempt at pointing windows to the app to use for these files is failing.

I really don't want to mess around in the registry so I will pass it to our IT bod, but what a pain!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2014 Oct 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem with all CC2014 Apps not allowing file association. Time consuming but works, reinstall the apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jun 17, 2015 Jun 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Went to the registry and applied middle.aged.hack solution AGAIN. Working now.

To quote MAH "There's no question this is an installer bug and I imagine it's going to hit anyone who upgrades from CS6 to CC. The fix is easy if you are comfortable with editing the registry but it should be fixed in the installer. This is an Adobe bug, plain and simple."

So now it's been 3 upgrades and many updates since this problem was first reported and STILL NO FIX FROM ADOBE!

Come On!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2015 Jun 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of the solutions here worked for me. But I was able to find a solution.

I went to:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6 (64 Bit)

Re name the Photoshop.exe to Photoshop2.exe

Then I went to the file I wanted to associate. In my case .tif file.

Right Click > Properties > Opens with > Change > Look for another app

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2015\Photoshop.exe

Bam! It works.

Rename your CS6 file without the 2 now as it's locked in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 02, 2015 Aug 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A strange but simple fix worked for me on Win 7.

1. Open Photoshop

2. Drag any jpg to the PS button on button bar to pin it

3. Right-click a jpg and select Open With > Choose Default Program

Photoshop should now be one of the options to select.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2015 Aug 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks gsbatchwva! That simple fix worked like a charm on my Windows 7 pc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2015 Oct 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same problem happening, i uninstalled CS6  and installed CS5 now psd files geeting associated with illustrator CS6, and CS5 is not showing in "open with" option

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2015 Oct 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can someone help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2016 Jul 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of the "high-tech" lingo and suggestions  Yours was the first that worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2016 Jul 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your simple hack fixed it.

It's very obvious that adobe has not even tested this on a windows machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2016 Jul 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, no disrespect to middle.aged.hack but my thanks have to go out to gsbatchwva . As we are now up to CC 2015.5, there have been at least three different regedit paths that have been mentioned on this and other forums to check, and for me none of them were still set to CS6 and yet that's all I could set my default program for psd files to.  But gsbatchwva's little trick fixed my problems for me - and better yet, no mucking about in the system registry required!  So thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 26, 2016 Jul 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow - this worked for me, too!! Windows 10 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2015 Aug 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying to use, middle.aged.hack's solution... what do I do if my registry does not have Photoshop.exe in the afore-mentioned registry spot? I'm running Windows 8.1 at the moment...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines