• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I cannot associate files with Adobe Photoshop CC

Explorer ,
Jun 20, 2013 Jun 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since installing Photoshop CC, I cannot associate jpg's or psd's with Photoshop CC. I have used the "open with..." dialog box (something I have done a million times, so I know what I'm doing), but after choosing Photoshop, it does not appear in the list of recommended or other programs and will not open the jpg or psd file in Photoshop.

FYI, I installed Photoshop CC while Photoshop CS6 was still on my computer. I then deinstalled Photoshop CS6 and that is when I noticed the problem.

Please help...this is extremely frustrating.

Thank you!!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jun 21, 2013 Jun 21, 2013

***I BELIEVE I HAVE FOUND THE ROOT CAUSE AND SOLUTION***

After looking at a new user's registry HKEY_CURRENT_USER and comparing it to the one on the original user, I found a registry value which was not changed, and should have been.

I found a key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Applications\Photoshop.exe\shell\open\command

This key was set to the path for Photoshop CS6 when it should have been set to Photoshop CC.

In other words, in my case, it was set to:

"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photosh

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 197 Replies 197
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2015 Aug 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just another update for anyone else who ran into this problem.  This is the thread I used below.  The commenter "Kevin Cox" had a solution that worked for me when I was having trouble associating file types for PS, AE, AI, ID, and PR. 

Photoshop CC 2015 installation issue with registry in Windows 7

Basically you just change 2014 to 2015 in the registry and projects will open properly after that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 05, 2015 Aug 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue with no plug-ins installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2015 Aug 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, if Photoshop doesn't appear in "Open With" menu when you try to associate file, CCleaner just solve this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 28, 2016 Mar 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still doesn't work, still opens with CS6. Have deleted entries from registry, still has irrelevant applications listed

http://s29.postimg.org/46fovn8tz/Clipboard_Image.png

and

http://s17.postimg.org/6kb9tfpvj/Clipboard_Image_1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2016 Jun 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PROBLEM SOLVED! I had this issue with Windows 7 and the most recent update of Adobe Photoshop 2015.5

"Problem: Photoshop is not an option as default program for jpg/jpeg in Windows 7 Professional. Not even when you browse to the program.

Solution (mentioned earlier):

1. Open Photoshop

2. Drag any jpg to the PS button on button bar to pin it

3. Right-click a jpg and select Open With > Choose Default Program

This fix brings photoshop into the list of 'Other programs' so that you can now enable other files to open in Photoshop as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 24, 2016 Aug 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This didn't work for me!!  Totally frustrated!

Going back to regedit......my default is

Modified it to:

Data: "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2015.5\Photoshop.exe" "%1"

This worked fine prior to the last update......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 27, 2016 Aug 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My plugins were fine and update

my regedit

HKEY-CURRENT-USERS\Software\Classes\Applications\Photoshop.exe\Shell\Command

was properly set to :

"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2015.5\Photoshop.exe" "%1"

HOWEVER

I FOUND WHEN I WENT BACK TO :

HKEY-CURRENT-USERS\Software\Classes\Applications\Photoshop.exe\Shell

AND CHANGED THE DEFAULT TO:

(value not set)

including the parenthesis, no quotes, it fixed everything!

Hope this helps someone else out there!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 03, 2016 Oct 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot believe that now n 2016, three years and several versions since this problem first cropped up, i had to use your registry hack again to get 2015.5 to associate properly with .jpegs. Now I have to go reset the associations for all the other file types. What a pain. Why in the world can't Adobe get this one right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2016 Nov 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly I can confirm this is still happening after uninstalling CS6 and upgrading to CC 2017. The regedit fix works, but how can it be that 3 years after the bug was pointed out in thiss forum, Adobe STILL HAVEN'T FIXED IT??? And we are having to go into the Windows registry? Unbelievable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2016 Dec 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On similar note:

After CC2017 update the registry value is:
"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2015.5\Photoshop.exe" "%1"
while proper folder is named Adobe Photoshop CC 2017

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 09, 2017 Jan 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, just had this issue rear it's ugly head for me for the first time. Needed to change "Photoshop CC 2015.5" to "Photoshop 2017" as you've stated.

Why is Adobe so useless with this stuff? It's pathetic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2017 Feb 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to go through the same thing with InDesign 2017 this time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 13, 2017 Mar 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More than 3.5 years after the solution to this problem was provided -- and the issue confirmed to be a bug in Adobe's installer -- I just had the same problem myself when upgrading a machine from CS5.5 to CC. It defies belief that this bug still hasn't been fixed this long later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 13, 2017 Mar 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have eventually come to what I believe is the only logical conclusion one can reach on account of this and many other shortcomings of Adobe products and support: that Adobe's core business culture has an extreme arrogance and lack of regard for its customers worldwide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to open a vector smart object with PS CC 2018, I double click on it and it opens in Illustrator CC 2017 instead of Illustrator CC 2018. This is extremely annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Nov 07, 2017 Nov 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another version and here we go again. We have to hack it just so we can use it. Thanks again to middle.aged.hack Why does Adobe NEVER fix this problem? Do they care? Do they??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I honestly think Adobe's care factor is sub-zero. And until somebody else is able to challenge their offering, I doubt this will change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Viva Affinity!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2017 Nov 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all; I've had this problem too and accidentally found a way to fix it, at least in my specific situation, that I haven't read about anywhere else. I'm on a Windows 7 machine, and where I work, we have a somewhat uncooperative IT department, so I typically have to solve most problems on my own. We're locked out of any admin access on our machines, so editing the registry was out of the question, as was running any "cleaner" software. My IT dept. was surely not going to let me do anything like that.

So, being a Mac user before this and at home, at one point I tried what I'd have done on my Mac: I dragged a PSD file onto the Photoshop tab on the taskbar. This gave me the option to "pin" the file to PS CC 2018. I did this, and for some reason, when I went back to the explorer/desktop/whatever Windows calls it, I now had all my PSD files linked to PS CC 2018, with the right icon, etc. And now PS shows up in the "Open with" options of all the other filetypes. I was pretty amazed and relieved that I wouldn't have to deal with IT to fix this problem. I hope this helps someone else!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2017 Nov 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HOLY COW! Thank you! It works for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2018 Mar 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!!

This works, but should never have happened.

This should be fixed in the installer. I wasted hours trying to fix this - I am NOT comfortable in regedit.

Please fix this Adobe! There are thousands of people struggling with this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Oct 28, 2018 Oct 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why am I STILL having to refer to this thread to fix this problem introduced by Adobe over 5 years ago? Why has Adobe still NOT FIXED this install bug even after FIVE version upgrades?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2020 Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

March, 2020, and it still is a problem.  The registry modification still works, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines