• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I'm not crazy - default scaling of layer effects

Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2020 Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At some point, years ago, I had my preferences set to scale layer effects by default (somehow) when using free transform. It's been like this for me for years and years and years. I know this, because I truly can't remember the last time I had to change a stroke weight after scaling something down. Now, since my most recent update, it's not like that anymore. And when I google it, I feel like I'm being punked. Anyone out here have thoughts on this?

(NOTE: I am aware of "Layer > Layer Styles > Scale Effects", but this opens the percent scale dialog and I'm talking --- I could free transform anything with strokes, shadows, glows, etc. and they scaled with the object.

I feel like I'm losing my mind.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 22, 2020 Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know the Image Size has a Scale Styles when you resample a Document.  I do not believe Free Transform has a scale style option setting.

image.png

Free Transform just has interpolation option

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2020 Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. It used to be a checkbox in the General preferences, now it's nowhere to be found. 

Scaling anything with effects is now a pain. Either remember the exact percentage you scaled or readjust effects settings manually. 

Why would they change it? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of photoshop had a general preference like that? I do not see it in the versions of Photoshop I have installed on my Window machine.

Untitled-1.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Illustrator yes, in Photoshop, no...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you are remembering Scale Styles in Image Size dialogue. Read this thread https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/photoshop_scale_layer_styles on Photoshop family site where one of responders is Chris Cox who was lead developer in Photoshop team for years, he must know wether feature was available or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You aren't imaging things. There was a "scale strokes and effects" under preferences, general. Its gone now and I have hunted everywhere and can not find it making it a royal pain to constantly use layer style, scale effects.  Adobe Why ??!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, there IS a "Scale strokes and effects" in preferences/General, but not in Photoshop, as it is in Illustrator: 

https://www.vectordiary.com/tips-and-tricks/scaling-strokes-effects/#:~:text=This%20can%20be%20found....

It is a case of the Mandela effect : https://www.healthline.com/health/mental-health/mandela-effect#:~:text=The%20Mandela%20effect%20is%2....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 29, 2022 May 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

why the hell isnt it in photoshop tho?? its completely necessary for most cases when you want to adjust scale of multiple objects with for example drop shadow etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, you might mix things up: this feature is in Illustrator's preferences, not Photoshop...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think you're crazy, either. I was using an older version (CS4) for a long time, because I didn't want to switch to the subscription model, and I never had to scale strokes or layer effects separately.

There seems to be a way to make layer styles scale, but only if you're adjusting the size of your entire canvas with Image > Image Size. When it brings up the Image Size dialogue window, there is a little gear in the top right corner that gives you an option to "Scale Styles" when you click on it. Click on the gear again, to make sure that a check mark appears next to the text, and it should work correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I've just found this and it will save me so much time, wish I'd seen this sooner, but now is better than never.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I concur with the others, this is definitely an Illustrator thing, never a Photoshop thing. 

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Pluralsight Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2021 Feb 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunatly it's true. It is an Illustrator thing. I had the exact same thought WFT! there used to be... am I going nuts.

Saw all the comments in this thread and thought no these guys don't get it. I'll prove it.

Opened same file in PS on my new laptop and my old laptop. Tested it... Effects don't scale in photoshop 😞

I could have sworn that they do... But they don't.

20 Years of flipping around in the adobe software must have played a trick on my mind.

Would be great if it was a setting though 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2021 Oct 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I was having the same problem. But ig we gotta live without that option, at least for now. One thing that could help is converting the thing to a smart object and then resize it. Yes, it may not be ideal in every scenario and is in now the ideal solution, but it is one work-around that I could think of. Works for groups too, just group the thing and convert it to a smart object

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 25, 2022 Mar 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally remember this being in Photoshop also - I want it back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2023 Feb 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it wasn't an option that you could select but it was a default setting. When scaling an object, automatic scaling effects and strokes. Now is a pain. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2023 Mar 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am in the "YES, it used to be there in Photoshop" camp!  Ever since I went to the subscription-based CC Phtooshop I have been stumped as to why my danged drop shadows were not scaling to the correct size when I would move and transform an item from one file to another.  It *was* a prefernce option.  SO annoying to have to manually go change every single freaking drop shadow when I move something from a larger file to a smaller file.  This is a major part of my work flow and believe me --- it was *very* notible that it was gone.   No, @danllinehan , you are not crazy.  Why the heck would they get rid of that??????  I spend a lot of time now resizing layer effects when I never did before.  Come on, Adobe, get it together and put that back!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2023 Aug 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank god for this post! I just downloaded psd 2023 after using the 2018 version and I was woing crazy looking for that tool, it really sucks it doesn't exist anymore

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines