• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I want to convert DNG to TIFF using API

New Here ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm developing a mobile app where I required to convert dng to tiff using Adobe RGB color space.

Steps we follow on desktop Adobe photoshop

1. In Photoshop, open DNG image.

2. Then we click on Save Image option.

3. Then we chose destination and file extension as TIF

4. Then we chose 'Adobe RGB' color space,8/16 Bit channel.

How I wanted it to work in my app?

1. In my app, camera will take raw image.

2. Upload DNG image to Adobe Cloud using API.

3. Adobe Cloud will Convert DNG to TIF as per required setting.

4. Downloaded back to mobile app using API.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm guessing that Core Image handles this on iOS, not sure. There should be be SOMETHING out there where you can do this on-device. Uploading and downloading DNG and TIFF images is going to be ugly on mobile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you thinking iOS or Android? 

How will the DNG be created on a mobile? The camera normally takes jpegs I believe?

[Edit - OK got that - your app is a RAW camera that makes DNG files, right? - but why do you want TIF on a mobile?]

What application will be used to view there TIF?

Might I please ask why?

As Lumigraphics mentioned it's going to be ugly (network intensive?) uploading and downloading large files.

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management
[please only use the blue reply button at the top of the page, this maintains the original thread title and chronological order of posts]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2021 Dec 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks NB for reply,

I want to convert dng to tif in Android. Sorry for late reply because I was doing a different project for while. Now I'm back to this project.

but why do you want TIF on a mobile?

To process some scientific images.

What application will be used to view there TIF?

We've developed app that view TIF images.

We want to convert dng to tiff using Adobe color space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 07, 2021 Dec 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DNG is a subset of TIFF. However, converting DNG files could require de-mosaicing them if they are RAW (IOW, writing a RAW processor.)

My suggestion would be to license an existing app that does mostly what you need, or find a F/OSS project to fork.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2022 Sep 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I do this by using the APIs provided in the adobe developer program?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The short answer is, as Lumigraphics said, you need to build a raw processor. You need a lot more than some APIs. A raw file needs to be demosaiced and processed into RGB data before you can even think about file formats. That's the problem you need to work on. You can't just "convert", it's incompatible classes of data.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But if I capture image in DNG format through the camera, demosaicing and processing into RGB is already done. I think so, please clarify my doubt?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not a software development forum. You should be asking questions on a site like Stack Exchange.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Okay. Thanks for the reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello team, 

I wanted to develop an inhouse android app for exporting DNG imag  to TIFF image format. Is it possible byusing Adobe's APIs? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would it be possible for you to build your app using an existing raw conversion library such as LibRaw, which is open source? It is already used by many applications for raw conversions, and appears to support TIFF output and Adobe RGB, from looking at the documentation. (However, I am not a programmer.)

https://www.libraw.org/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's curious that we get so many questions about this now. You'd almost think it was a class asignment or something. If that's the case, it's a poor assignment that doesn't take the full problem into consideration - unless this is precisely the lesson to be extracted from it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines