• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Image is not exporting with the same PPI/DPI

Advisor ,
Oct 21, 2021 Oct 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a PSD file that is 33" x 26" at 300 PPI.  I need to export it to a jpg that is 16" x 12.4" and 300 PPI.  I am checking Resample and entering 16" for the Width.  Then I select Export As, Export.  When I click on the Properties tab of the resulting jpg, it shows dimensions as 4800 x 3715 which seems correct.  

When I open the jpg in Photoshop, and choose Image Size, it displays the dimensions at 72 PPI.  When I uncheck Resample and enter 300 in PPI, it shows the desired dimensions (16" x 12.4").  But why doesn't the jpg just open as a 16" image at 300 PPI?  The image was rejected by the submittee because they said it was in 72 PPI.  

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 21, 2021 Oct 21, 2021

Export strips the resolution metadata altogether. A file out of Export has no ppi at all, not 300, not 72, nothing.

Export is intended for web/screen/mobile devices, where ppi is moot and irrelevant. It's not needed, so it's removed. Use Save As or Save a Copy, which will retain the ppi number.

The 72 number that you see is just a default value assigned by Photoshop when you reopen the file. It needs a ppi number for other reasons, but any number will do.

BTW, if they rejected the file ove

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export strips the resolution metadata altogether. A file out of Export has no ppi at all, not 300, not 72, nothing.

Export is intended for web/screen/mobile devices, where ppi is moot and irrelevant. It's not needed, so it's removed. Use Save As or Save a Copy, which will retain the ppi number.

The 72 number that you see is just a default value assigned by Photoshop when you reopen the file. It needs a ppi number for other reasons, but any number will do.

BTW, if they rejected the file over this, they need some education.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Psych. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!  New problem:  Choosing Save As is not giving me the option of jpg - only JPEG 2000.  Would would this be?

bartonlew_0-1634847314234.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Either choose "Save a Copy" or go to Preferences > File Handling... check "Enable legacy Save As" and restart Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jpeg will only present in Save As for documents that can be preserved in the jpeg format. That means 8 bits/channel, no transparency and a background layer only.

As you have layer 0 instead of a background layer, jpeg will instead appear in Save a Copy.

You can revert to the old way in Preferences > File Handling if you prefer.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Save As > JPEG will retain PPI for photographic workflows. Save for Web or Export As target screen workflows where PPI isn't really relevant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@bartonlew wrote:

The image was rejected by the submittee because they said it was in 72 PPI.  

Too bad subcommittee doesn't understand basic resolution. The tag means nothing, the number of pixels (WxH) does.

As for the Save As, JPEG 2000, is it possible this is a 32-bit per color document?  With 8-bit or 16-bit documents, I have no issue seeing either JPEG or JPEG 2000 for saving but with a 32-bit document, JPEG isn't in the list. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Too bad subcommittee doesn't understand basic resolution. The tag means nothing, the number of pixels (WxH) does."

This - exactly !

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2021 Oct 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo, ich nutze in PS häufig den Schnellexport um Bilder als .jpg`s zu speichern. Seit dem letzten update wird die Pixeldichte auf 72ppi gesetzt obwohl das Originalbild mit 300ppi vorliegt. Kann ich dies irgendwo wieder anpassen/zurücksetzen?

Viele Grüße

Claus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 22, 2021 Oct 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As stated above, Export As strips out the ppi value so the image is exported with no ppi value at all. On import Photoshop has to put some value in, so that the rulers will display in real world units and the print can be sent to a print driver. When there is no value it uses 72ppi.

To retain the original 300 ppi value use Save As or Save a Copy

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2021 Oct 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK understood, but why has the quick Export in the last PS versions took over the PPI of the original image? So far, I generated for my customers from my "master file" with the advantages of the quick Export JPG's which they use for photo prints. Through this change, now I have to change countless actions to prevent the customer from simply pushing the file to the printer, as the image size is not correct. I think that's very annoying. For me, JPG is not just a data format for digital presentations (where the PPI does not matter) but also a transfer format to be able to send a photo quickly by e-mail. Now to go over "save as" I´ll find much more cumbersome.

Claus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 23, 2021 Oct 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not the latest version, it has not changed. Export has always dropped the PPI from the metadata.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 25, 2022 Nov 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines