• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

image to sketch [in Photoshop]

New Here ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I turn a color PNG image into a back and white sketch?  Looking for just the outline of the image, not the image in black and white if that makes sense.

[ "in Photoshop" added by moderator — this is a Photoshop question and was moved from PSE ]

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Elements are you using.  In Elements 2022 (and earlier versions), you can use the Line Drawing Guided Edit (under Black and White tab).

Snap_2022.03.28_9h38m28s_001.png

There are various other options, but the Guided Edit turns out fairly good results.  With the following example, I strengthened the lines using a Levels command in the Expert mode.

Line-Drawing-GE.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Greg, thanks for the input.  Saw this option but was hoping to take all of the grays out as well, literally just a black and white line sketch.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you post an example photo, we can give you some options and other suggestions.  But, in the meantime, look at the Filters>Sketch> menu options.  Depending on the image, the Photocopy filter should work.  But there are refinements that can also be used.

Filter.Sketch.Photocopy.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2022 Apr 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the late response, but definitely wanted to thank you for the tips. Unfortunately it looks like I have the dumbed down version because I don't have either of those options you listed.  I'll post the image I'm trying to work with to see if you have any other ideas (if you don't mind).  I'm trying to convert it to a line drawing so I can engrave it on my router or laser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Elements are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is another method I used with your image:

1. Select Filter>Stylize>Find Edges
  2. Enhance>Convert to Black and White.  In this example, I used the Infrared Effect option
  3. Play with Levels (Ctrl+L) to darken the lines.

NKLogo_FLAG-Hi-Resolution.gif

Is this the desired effect you want to have?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2022 Apr 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, been messaging you from work and then trying to figure it out when I get home.  So, I didn't even realize I was on an "Elements" forum (thank you Google) when I first posted.  I have the basic Photoshop package for now.  I'm not seeing anything that closely resembles what you've mentioned.  I guess I need to look into buying Elements now.  Thanks for all the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of the controls used in my last example are available in Photoshop CC.  So:

1. Open the color .png file
  2. Select Filter>Stylize>Find Edges
  3. Convert the image to Black and White, using Image>Mode>Grayscale
  4. Use the Levels controls to darken the sketch lines.

I will move this discussion to the Photoshop Ecosystem forum.  The experts there will probably have better and easier ways to perform this effect in Photoshop CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for all the help, definitely appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines