• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

install .jsx script in Photoshop 2022 (23.3.2)

Explorer ,
May 15, 2022 May 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the correct way to install scripts in Photoshop 2022? I have a couple of .jsx scripts that I'd like use from File > Scripts > ... without having to Browse... for them.

In earlier versions on a Mac, you evidently installed them by copying them here (this path is for 2022, obviously):

/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop 2022/Presets

However, in 2022, the Presets folder contains only empty directories. Even Actions is empty, even though I installed a number of them using Load Actions... in the Actions panel in Ps. In 2022, there is no Presets/Scripts/ directory, and even if I make one and put the scripts there, Ps doesn't find them. 

The directory /Applications/Adobe Photoshop 2022/Presets/Scripts exists. If I copy the scripts there and restart Ps, it finds them. However, that directory is write-protected. I have to override the protections to install them there, not something I would expect Adobe would want me to make me do.

What is the right way to install them?

Thanks,

Rob

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

My favorite way is to make an Action. No need to touch any local folders because I keep all my scripts on a server to share among users, even share between macOS and Windows. Watch this tutorial video. Method #3 is using an Action.

https://youtu.be/b_kCiXFTNGk

Or read about how it works here:

https://www.marspremedia.com/software/how-to-adobe-cc

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
May 20, 2022 May 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Really need to" but what you'll find is that the big developers can do whatever they want. Using Browse and loading scripts via Actions is clunky and honestly a PITA.

And Adobe help doesn't prefer one method or another.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/scripting.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd say a minor PITA. But yes, it is less favorable compared to InDesign. Why I suggest it ought to work that way. Getting "Big Developers" to do something is completely possible. Done in many times over the decades. But this is one area I wouldn't expect Adobe to change because ExtendScript will be phased out in favor of UXP. It will be a while still, but I woudn't expect them to give much attention to technology on its way out. Even today ExtendScript is mostly abandoned given it is really only ES "2.5" as I call it. Array still doesn't have indexOf method. Have to a poyfill that one, amoung other missing pieces of ES3. It will never be ES6. UXP gives us that.

William Campbell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@RobM_LosAltos wrote:
I searched helpx.adobe.com and couldn't find any Adobe instructions about
a supported method to install scripts in Ps 2022. 

Yes, as previously noted the official info is here, last updated for CS5 > and hasn't changed since, so I'm guessing that Adobe don't feel the need to keep updating the version number when nothing else changes:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/scripting.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stephen --

Yeah, the only current part about the helpx doc is to use File > Scripts >
Browse. It sounds as if Adobe has been winding down this flavor of script
support for a while.

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 13, 2022 Jun 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@KukurykusI got around to trying out the alias/shortcut method, and it does work on macOS also. At first I didn't understand what you meant, then realized -- copy an alias (macOS) or shortcut (Windows) that links to a folder elsewhere (for me, on my server) into the the Photoshop/Presets/Scripts folder. Yes, that works. All scripts in the folder, and subfolders, are listed alphabetically in the File > Scripts menu. Nice. And no need to restart Photoshop when editing any of the scripts. Thank you for that tip.

William Campbell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2022 Oct 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Copy the jsx to your desktop and open it with text edit. Make your changes to the and when you save the file, uncheck the box that says "if no extension is provided, use ".txt".", make sure it is named exactly the same as the original jsx you duplicated (text edit often adds the word "copy" so remove that), and make sure the plain text encoding is set to Unicode (UTF-8) - with those two things correct, delete the .txt from the filename and replace with .jsx. Save it. Now navigate to the Photoshop Scripts folder and drag your new jsx into the folder. An overwrite warning will pop up and choose to replace the existing file with the new one you created. You'll have to enter your password to do so. Once done, open photoshop and test it out. 

It is a smart idea to save an original copy of the source script somewhere else on your computer just in case. If you have to replace your new one with the original, drag and drop into the folder to replace your edited version. I've never had any issues though and just edited the export layers to files.jsx to get rid of the annoying sequence prefix. Worked perfectly. You might have to update the jsx you modified when new versions are installed. Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines