• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it possible to retrieve data covered with a black box?

New Here ,
Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have a scanned pdf doc. I opened it in PS to cover some sensitive info. I draw some black boxes over the text. Then I merged all the layers, icluding original layer. I had only one layer in the end and save it as pdf. There was no way to be able to recover the hidden text. I sent the file to someone and somehow he asked me about something that was hidden under the black boxes. 

I tried to open the pdf with PS, Ilustrator and Acrobat Pro but no way I can see what's under the black boxes.

My question is.... Is there a work around to retrieve those hidden info despite the fact that all the layers was merged in one?

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Once you merged the layers, saved and closed the file you're out of luck, unless you have a backup copy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Photoshop offers Layers and Alpha Channels but for a flat image without additional Channels there are no pixels hiding behind the pixels. 

If the black box was not in fact solid (either because of Opacity below 100% or because it was a dark gray set to Blend Mode »Multiply« or …) it could be possible that there is some information left but as you saved a pdf even that would probably be degraded by the jpg-compression. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines