• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it safe to register Sattva descreen?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I bought the professional version of Sattva descreen, and had already downloaded it, when I discovered that the product--which I had read many enthusiastic posts about--is Russian. In order to unlock it, I need to register with personal information on a third-party Russian website that may be vulnerable to hackers. I don't want to do that.

Has any other company developed a descreen filter that gives good results? 

Why hasn't Adobe developed this much-needed product?

Many thanks,

Nina Schwartz

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2022 Mar 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought better of it and deleted Sattva descreen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 26, 2022 Mar 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@J453 may move this thread to Ideas unless tricks to imitate Sattva Descreen plug-in are found.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Jeffrey. I think there is a problem with this classification, though. Descreening is not an Idea; it is a filtering tool. 

Many graphic designers who grew up in the 1980s-2000s are unfamiliar with print-specific terms such as halftones and lpi (lines per inch—shows you what an antique I am!) The result is that when you search the term "descreen" you are often sent to sites that discuss how to ADD screen effects. It's better to search on "remove halftone dots."

The plug-in I downloaded free from https://ft.rognemedia.no/ (it's a Norwegian company) works the same way as does the Sattva descreen filter; it uses star suppression to remove overall patterns such as halftone screens and old photo paper with its annoying light-catching hexagons, without losing image detail. 

Best wishes!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, we understand that. "Ideas" is the official Photoshop feature request channel, and maybe this functionality could be built into Photoshop - if enough people vote for it.

Historically Photoshop's filters have been rather basic, while more advanced functionality like descreen, bokeh, starfilter etc that require more extensive processing has been left to third party plugins. But there's no firm line, and if enough people request it, it may be worth the effort.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2023 Mar 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My old 'free with the PC' Adobe PhotoDeluxe software had a pretty nice/effective moire pattern filter. Also a one button "Instant Fix" and "Intellifix." Made me mad at myself when I finally tried them one day after having been manually 'messing with images.' It didn't always do miracles, but was a lot faster and easier than most of my manual adjustments!!

Of course, I had a smaller CRT monitor, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2022 Jun 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there! I thought I might want to chime in and say that I have been using Sattva for many years and so far it has been absolutely indispensable in my workflow. I signed up before the war and though I have had no issues, I did mention to the developer that I was worried that I may not be able to update or re-activate my licence one day due to the unfortunate circumstances that are happening. He understood and assured me that he will let me know if he is in any situation that may affect his business. At the end of they day, it's up to you but for me, I haven't had any issues. I use the Pro version 6.5 on my M1 Mackbook. Oh, that reminds me. As of now, the plug-in only runs in Rosetta so I have to launch PS in order to see the plugin in the Filters menu.

Cheers!

Michael, Toronto CANADA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 27, 2022 Jun 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had decent results using the Median filter:

Descreened.jpg

Since the Median filter only takes integer values, it's usually necessary to scale the image up, run the filter, and then scale it back down, to minimize artifacts. It's also important to rotate to accommodate the screen angle, and then back again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines