• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a better way to snap to the border of a text in Photoshop?

Participant ,
Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes I have an image or a Vector Shape and I want it to be exactly where the text layer is in the screen, so far I've been using the snapping to do it correctly, the problem is that sometimes I have multiple texts on the screen, and I keep snapping to them, so is there an easy way to be sure I'm snapping to the right layer?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Feb 24, 2022 Feb 24, 2022

First, you will want to align the image layer to the edge of the text layer that you want it aligned to by simply moving the image layer with the move tool and letting it snap to the edge of the text layer. It will do this as long as you have snap turned on. You can also still do what I mentioned above by selecting the borders of the text layer with marching ants and aligning the image layer to the edge of the text layer you want it aligned to with the alignment options. Then deselect the text l

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure I understand your request in the first place. Do you use Smart Guides? Can you post screenshot to illustrate your problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 24, 2022 Feb 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to mention that I'm usually resizing the images or the vector Shapes when I have that problem, you can see in the first example that the resizing snapped to "Text 1" like I wanted but sometimes it happens like in the second example where the resizing snapped to the "Text 2". It's not a big problem, it just consume some precious time, so I was wondering if there was a way to make sure the resizing will snap to a specific Layer instead of all of them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ctrl + Click (with your mouse) on the layer thumbnail in the Layers Box that contains the Text you want to align to. You'll get marching ants around your text. Then select the layer that you want aligned to that text. Then select your move tool (v) and at the top (depending on your workspace-default top) you'll see alignment icons. Choose the alignment procedure you want. Deselect when done (Ctrl + D). Hope that helps. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I'm having this issue when I'm tryint to resize an image or a Vector Shape, so I think the align feature wouldn't work in this situation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

First, you will want to align the image layer to the edge of the text layer that you want it aligned to by simply moving the image layer with the move tool and letting it snap to the edge of the text layer. It will do this as long as you have snap turned on. You can also still do what I mentioned above by selecting the borders of the text layer with marching ants and aligning the image layer to the edge of the text layer you want it aligned to with the alignment options. Then deselect the text layer and resize the object layer in the opposite direction, away from the aligned text edge you snapped the object layer to. This will automatically keep the image edge anchored with the text edge you aligned it to while increasing or decreasing the image size in the opposite direction of that anchor point. It's complicated, I know, but follow each step precisely and you'll watch it magically start making sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines