• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to export a jpg at 300dpi in the latest update of Photoshop 2021, v 22.4.3?

Explorer ,
Aug 02, 2021 Aug 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the latest update, the ability to "Save As" a jpg is gone, for whatever reason. Now the only way to save a jpg from a PSD file is to us Export As. Even with quality set to high, it always exports the jpg as 72dpi, and there doesn't seem to be a way to specify what dpi you want the jpg to be saved at. Now every time I export a jpg, I have to open that jpg in Photoshop again and convert it to 300dpi, which is so much added time. Please tell me I'm missing something and this isn't just the way it is now!

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Aug 02, 2021 Aug 02, 2021

@aphilli7 wrote:

Please tell me I'm missing something and this isn't just the way it is now!

Hi @aphilli7 

As of 22.4.1, you can find png, jpg, pdf, etc., in Save a Copy.
As of 22.4.2 you can revert to the previous behavior in Preferences > File Handling > File Saving Options:

• Enable Legacy Save As
  • Do not append Copy

See this help page for details and cautions:
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/saving-images.html  

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Aug 02, 2021 Aug 02, 2021

Just for clarity, Exporting does not export at 72ppi it exports without any PPI value. Exporting is designed for web use where the ppi metadata value is meaningless. On re-opening a document without PPI metadata, a nominal 72 PPI is assigned.

Now your issue. To Save in jpeg, either use Save a Copy or, in the current version, go to Preferences- File Handling and check the box to use the old Save As behaviour.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@aphilli7 wrote:

Please tell me I'm missing something and this isn't just the way it is now!

Hi @aphilli7 

As of 22.4.1, you can find png, jpg, pdf, etc., in Save a Copy.
As of 22.4.2 you can revert to the previous behavior in Preferences > File Handling > File Saving Options:

• Enable Legacy Save As
  • Do not append Copy

See this help page for details and cautions:
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/saving-images.html  

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 05, 2021 Aug 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, thank you so much!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 24, 2022 Jan 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG and peuwww! thank you so much. you are a life saver 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2023 Apr 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have literally been looking for this answer for the past few months of my life and pulling my hair out. THANK YOU!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 25, 2023 Apr 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome @Grace288873860pvd , I'm glad it's sorted for you now. You are always welcome to start a new post and ask questions, as we are here to help! 😊

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just for clarity, Exporting does not export at 72ppi it exports without any PPI value. Exporting is designed for web use where the ppi metadata value is meaningless. On re-opening a document without PPI metadata, a nominal 72 PPI is assigned.

Now your issue. To Save in jpeg, either use Save a Copy or, in the current version, go to Preferences- File Handling and check the box to use the old Save As behaviour.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 05, 2021 Aug 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 12, 2022 Aug 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

does that mean that if the original file was set at 300dpi and exported or generated using the Generator that the output files might still be 300dpi even tho they are not given a value and show as 72dpi .. or are they more likely to be 72dpi?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 13, 2022 Aug 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The ppi value can be anything you want. There is no way of telling what it was before exporting.

The ppi  value is just a value stored in metadata alongside the image. Whether it is set to 1 or 72 or 300 or 1000.....etc makes no difference to the quality of the image. Not one pixel is altered by changing that value. Try it in menu Image - Image Size. Turn resample off, i.e. uncheck it and alter the ppi value. The reported physical size of your document changes, in inches or cm, but the number of pixels and the content of those pixels does not. So, what does change based on that ppi  value , is the physical size if the image is printed, as ppi is specifying how many image pixels should be printed in one inch. That is why it is stripped out when exporting, along with other metadata. Export was designed for screen use where the ppi value is irrelevant.

The rulers in Photoshop, which show big the document will print, also change as does the size of text you later add using points as the text unit (there are 72 points in one inch so the number of pixels in one inch has to be calculated using ppi).

If you need to retain ppi metadata, for example to send an image for printing where PPI is relevant, then use Save As or Save a Copy rather than export.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please forgive my naivtity here, I am really tying to understand.   I am asking purely from a PRINTING point of view (not screen).  

I used the Generator to create assets from layer groups believing they would be generated at the same 300dpi as the original document which is set at 300dpi so that I could print them.  I've discovered that the Generator is creating the assets at 72dpi and obviously they should be 300dpi to print.  

SO my question above was .. are those generated assets only actually 72dpi (in terms of printing) or would they be 300dpi still (as intended) even tho' ppi is stripped?  

Essentially I want to print them at different sizes but now I'm scared they are only screen resolution quality and not good enough quality to print? Is that correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you know what the resolution value (ppi) of those assets were before you exported, then open them and go to Image - Image Size. Uncheck resample then set the ppi value to the same as it was before you exported.

Nothing in your image has changed by doing that step. A numeric value was removed when you exported, a substitute inserted when you re-opened, and restored to the required value when you do the above.

However, if you then re-save to jpeg there is an additional loss to pixel quality as every jpeg save involves cumulative lossy compression.

Hence my earlier advice, if you need ppi - which you do for printing, do not use Export.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"does that mean that if the original file was set at 300dpi and exported or generated using the Generator that the output files might still be 300dpi" .

You are seeing ppd as some kind of magic marker for quality. It IS NOT. You need to know that the ppi is just a hint about the size the image might have if you printed it. It is nothing else at all, and has no relevance at all unless you are going to print it, or place it in a page layout app.

The web is full of nonsense about ppi, by people with no clue. They talk about setting ppi for web graphics for example, though this is meaningless nonsense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 25, 2022 Nov 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2023 Jul 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is still broken when creating actions as even if i follow those steps when i try to do to it to create the action it still appears in it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines