• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there really no way to kill the Home Screen?

Advisor ,
Nov 26, 2019 Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The  home screen is a real nuisance - its ugly, clumsy, dumb and destroys a workflow.

Here is how my screen looks now:

homescreen.jpg

Is there no way to get Photoshop back and get rid of this abomination?

David

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 26, 2019 Nov 26, 2019

Hi,

Do you see the < next to the Ps icon when you have a document open? If so, that typically means you are entering the Home screen by clicking on the 'home' icon. If it isn't showing then you have invoked the Home screen in some way, but I'd need steps to understand how. Opening documents in floating windows will not auto-dismiss, and you'll have to use ESC.

Screen Shot 2019-11-26 at 1.03.52 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens when you uncheck Preferences >General >Autoshow the Home Screen ?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deselected (it wasn't in the first place)...

no show.jpg

.and this is still what happens...

home screen3.jpg

Why have they created this dog's dinner?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you restart Photoshop after you made the change?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check it, relaunch, and uncheck it again. That's what I had to do, but it has thankfully stayed out of my way since.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  Didn't work for me sadly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David,

That is a curious looking workspace (floating windows and panels, no tool bar). Is that a saved custom workspace or just a modified one of the existing workspaces? Does selecting ESC when Home is active dismiss it? And which version of Windows is this?

What steps are part of your workflow, as well?

regards,

steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's curious because Photoshop is joining the home screen and my custom workspace together to create a mutation.  This is what my unadulterated custom workspace looks like when I can use it -

workspace.jpg

ESC does indeed allow me to get rid of the home screen.  I am using W10 Pro 64bit 1909, 32gb memory, i9-9980HK cpu,  in a Dell XPS 15 7590 laptop

Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Do you see the < next to the Ps icon when you have a document open? If so, that typically means you are entering the Home screen by clicking on the 'home' icon. If it isn't showing then you have invoked the Home screen in some way, but I'd need steps to understand how. Opening documents in floating windows will not auto-dismiss, and you'll have to use ESC.

Screen Shot 2019-11-26 at 1.03.52 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you very much.  Useful information.  The home screen seems to have retreated to its lair and now each time I open PS I get my workspace (set up as I like, with floating palettes).  DV it will continue like this.  I am not sure why it happened.  There must be some sequence of buttons that casts it into oblivion with a one way ticket..Not just the ESC button.  Fingers crossed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a curious looking workspace (floating windows and panels, no tool bar)

Steve, does it work the same way for you when you have floating panels and have closed all documents? It does for me.

I usually close the floating panels and then reset my workspace the next time I open a file.

~ Jane

4.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines