• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Isolate and Sharpen Image

Advocate ,
Apr 22, 2023 Apr 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an image to which the lower half of the image is blured assuming this is the outcome of the original picture. I would like to remove this blur and isolate the other parts of the image which have no blur. I tried smart sharpen but the results are not what I expect. 

Is there a method to which I can use a gradient to control the blur so I can isolate where I want the image sharp ?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 22, 2023 Apr 22, 2023

Without seeing the image it is hard to advise specifically.

You could apply your sharpening as a smart filter and use a mask, or you could take the image into a third party deconvolution sharpening filter and mix it with the original using a mask. In either case, the mask could be based on a gradient or on an extract from the image itself using a separate filter such as find edges.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 22, 2023 Apr 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without seeing the image it is hard to advise specifically.

You could apply your sharpening as a smart filter and use a mask, or you could take the image into a third party deconvolution sharpening filter and mix it with the original using a mask. In either case, the mask could be based on a gradient or on an extract from the image itself using a separate filter such as find edges.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Apr 23, 2023 Apr 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The image is a table with depth of field. I want to remove the portion of the image with depth of field to further minipulate the image. 

The image is; 340349851 in Adobe Stock. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post the image in question. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless you have room to downscale, I find removing DOF in Photoshop is a struggle. I suggest AI 🙂

itsmetho_0-1682274189384.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What method of AI did you use ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used Topaz apps. Gigapixel AI for upscale + Sharpen AI to fix the focus. Then combine the best parts in Photoshop with masks.

This was to demonstrate you can actually remove DOF quite well (depends on the image). But AI apps from Topaz or text2image AI are still miles ahead of Photoshop sharpning I'm afraid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Apr 24, 2023 Apr 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read one can do exactly what Topaz programs are doing with Photoshop native tools, for example; High Pass Sharpen although finding a tutorial which can mimic what Topaz programs are doing is not impossible but getting identical results is unknown. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you think the Filter High Pass can achieve the same as AI sharpening you might not fully appreciate the difference between the two concepts. (Which is not to say that AI sharpening might not still produce »nonsensical« results in some cases.) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The AI sharpening along the edges of the desk are clearly; which I'm not able to acheive with the high pass filter. I have set the blend mode to overlay with the highpass filter layer above and the original image layer below. Any suggestions on how I could fix; I know there are touch up methods for this exact issue ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the high pass you can also try linear linear light blend. It's stronger.

For the edges.. idk. For the ghost edge left I would draw a selection to where you want to keep the edge, and brush, clone or burn that ghost away 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@StrongBeaver  I don't think PS can do what these AI apps do. If you keep stacking the high pass in Photoshop, at some point you're left with noise. AI look at the image once, puts it aside and creates brand new pixels because it saw a million other tables 🙂

But for fun here's a chart for y'all so we can see. I must say PS result isn't at all bad! You can see how it builds upon the pixels to make them better vs what AI does. I don't have Adobe stock so I used the lowres preview:

Comparison

itsmetho_1-1682372676254.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines