• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issue Applying "Screen" to A Layer

New Here ,
May 27, 2022 May 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I apply "screen" to a layer in Photoshop it makes the image disappear and does not apply the effect. Earlier it was just not applying the effect at all but would still be selected as "screen". I uninstalled photoshop and reinstalled. I also cleared and re-set under preferences. 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all: there's no point in setting the bottom layer to any blend mode. A blend mode is what it says: the interaction between the current layer and the underlying layer.

A blend mode on a single layer is like one hand clapping. There's no sound.

That said, you should just get no effect - not a completely white screen. That's a bug, but it should have been fixed by now:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/p-photoshop-23-3-opens-images-with-everythin... 

(it's a long thread, so I'd recommend starting at the end and go backwards)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi first of all I'm well aware of what a blend mode is and its functionality. In this instance, the screen mode is being used as it intended to "The Screen blend mode works exactly the opposite. With Screen, anything on the layer that's pure black will disappear from view. Anything that's pure white will remain unchanged, and any shade of gray between pure black and pure white will become lighter." So not sure what your mini-rant is about. Further from that, the contents of the original photoshop file I was working in when I first discovered the issue is confidential and I did not want to risk any info being displayed so I opened a new file to mimic the issue I was experiencing. The image I'm trying to apply "Screen" is NOT the bottom layer in my original file. 

The article you linked is in no way related to the issue that I'm experiencing. The ONLY thing not working is applying ANY blend mode to ANY layer. Everything else works fine.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In that case your screenshot is irrelevant and misleading. I suggest you show the real layer structure, so we know what your issue actually is.

As posted, there is nothing for the screen blend mode to work on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines