• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Just updated to Photoshop 2020 - gray screen redraw.

Participant ,
Feb 26, 2020 Feb 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated to Photoshop CC2020 on both my iMac and my Macbook Pro and now - with high resolution files - I'm gettting an occasional gray screen between processes or processing (layer transitions, resizing, changing fonts, applying filters) - I"m not sure it's a redraw or what but it's quite annoying. Any ideas what the heck is going on here? It's happening on BOTH my computers so....

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Explorer ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. This bug has been present for the last six months. Every month Adobe takes money from us but they cannot fix obvious bugs. It is disgusting.

mid 2015 iMac running OS10.14.6 Mohave, 24 GB RAM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2020 Jun 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue since the recent 2020 update. Reverted back to the older version of PS until this is resovled. It is impossible to work when every time you click a text field everything turns gray for a moment and then a moment later only part of the workspace returns. Tried all of the solutions posted here and nothing is working. This started with the newest update with files that have multiple artboards... but to be fair PS has always sucked at handling artboards.

PS becoming less reliable with every update. Sometimes if you open a file, then close it, and open another file, the entier workspace is just gray, only showing the menus and tools. Great stuff.

2.9 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3

Radeon Pro 460 4 GB Intel HD Graphics 530 1536 MB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I Fixed it.

Preferences > Performance > Check the Use Graphics Processor
Select Advance Setting and SELECT first 3 options, and leave 30 bit NOT SELECTED.

Restart your Photoshop and it worked for me. No more gray artboards or display problems with texts.

Hope it helps.Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 11.20.08 PM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried this method (Cesar Rosales) and it fixed it.
None of the previous workarounds did it for me.

UPDATE: thought it did, but it actually didn't. Not getting it as bad, but still shows up around text and when switching between apps.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) · Mojave 10.14.6 · PS 21.2.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2020 Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me!

My issue was the same with the grey boxes, i was seeing it constantly as i zoomed, scrolled, or even when i clicked a rectangle it only showed the rectangle and the rest was grey. (For) Now i can zoom and scroll without any lag! Thanks. (Macbook Pro Retina Early 2015, Catalina 10.15.5, PS 21.2.0 64 bit)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unticking the 30 bit display and adding the OpenCL also seems to have worked for me.   I was mainly getting the grey screen when the focus shifted away from Photoshop to another program.  At that point the entire screen turned grey.  To get my Photoshop image to redraw I had to do something (like select a new layer, select all, etc.).  With the new options selected, the image now remains visible no matter what I do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2020 Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Cesar, this worked for me!

2019 Macbook Pro, Mojave 10.14.6, PS version 21.2.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2020 Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was still having this issue even with the latest update. Making this change seems to have resolved the problem. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2020 Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's workin for me as well. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. Updated to Photoshop 21.2 and this issue is so bad that the program is almost unusable. Please provide a fix Adobe, my iMac is brand new.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue and nothing is fixing it! Really putting a clog in my workstream, regretting updating entirely

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had this issue occur to a user on a Mid-2017 MacBook Pro running Mojave 10.14.6. Ran through all the suggested workarounds in the post but nothing solved the issue. Uninstalled Creative Cloud and all other apps using the guides here but:

The issue persisted after installing the latest version of Photoshop 21.2. Ended up uninstalling Photoshop 21.2 and reinstalled using an older version 20.0.9 which seems to have solved the issue so far. Has anyone been able to revert back to an older version like 21.1.3 or 21.1.2 to see if the issue is resolved there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2020 Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a follow up - I reached out to Adobe support today and they advised that they are aware of the bug and actively working on a fix. The bug number is: PS-49172. According to the support person, this will be fixed in the next update but did not provide an ETA.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried all the tricks... nothing worked. Had to install an older version. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been going bonkers with the redraw issue for the last week. Tried everything listed above so finally gave up and rolled back to 21.1.3 which seems to work fine thankfully.

Fingers crossed Adobe can release a fix for 21.2 soon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh is that what it is? i've went back to 20.9 or whatever and it's perfect

Jonathon Burgon BA (Hons)
Design & Brand Development Coordinator

[cid:image001.jpg@01CC7221.BC260FC0]

Teesside University Students’ Union
Campus Heart, Middlesbrough, TS1 3BA

tees-su.org.uk, [Facebook Icon] /teessidesu, [Twitter Icon]
/teessidesu

Please contact me to discuss our wide range of advertising and sponsorship opportunities offering unrivalled access to the student market
NUS Best Bar None Awards 2016 – Gold
TUSU is consistently in the top 10 students' unions in the UK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2020 Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted a video of whats going on. This issue is really really really annoying and have no idea how to stop this from happening. Sometimes it even gets stuck like what's happening in the video(however I think doing a quicktime screen recording sometimes slows down my computer, which is why I think it nevers shows). It usually shows after I hide/show a layer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2020 Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly the same issue here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2020 Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YEP! Me too. Im getting very tired of a new update, then to find a bunch of issues. These are not small issues. You can't see the screen while working.  Nice.  Any fixes???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updates for several CC 2020 apps were just released (as of 9 PM on July 20, 2020). Photoshop release notes mention fixing several drawing errors/bugs. Run the updater and we should be back in business.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2020 Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone confirm that the latest version 21.2.1 fixes the issues?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated yesterday and so far so good...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 21, 2020 Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are happy to announce the release of Photoshop 21.2.1 that should resolve this issue.

This update includes fixes to some of the top customer reported issues among other bug fixes. See Bug fixes and security updates

To update Photoshop to 21.2.1, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. 

More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whew. It worked. Thanks! This issue was driving me nuts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I seem to still be having the issue with the gray image. Even on small photoshop files. I have updated to the latest version 21.2.2 and have turned off Legacy and Graphics Processing. This file only has 2 layers, an empty back ground layer and a layer with an eps vector logo at 1280x1280. Any other suggestions?Updated to latest versionUpdated to latest versionsmall file, this contains 2 layers, 1 empty background and one epssmall file, this contains 2 layers, 1 empty background and one eps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines