• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Keep EXIF when exporting?

Explorer ,
Apr 13, 2018 Apr 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I keep the EXIF data of a photo using the export feature?

I can use the save for web legacy option and that has a dropdown menu that allows me to choose to retain the exif data but given that it's labelled as the legacy option I assume adobe want the newer export as or quick export options to be used (and I prefer the speed of the quick export too).

The silly part is there is an export preferences menu yet it gives only 2 options, none of which preserve the full exif.

is the legacy 'save for web' function actually better than the newer options they added?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 13, 2018 Apr 13, 2018

OK, now that I know what you're doing, several things:

First off iF you can use "Save for Web..." you can do a resize but you cannot see the EXIF data there either because the goal of S4W is to get the image as small as possible for web view. But that is not your goal.

You could resize using Image (menu) -> Image resize... and then do the Save As... but I agree that would/could be tedious.

The best/fastest way to do this is with Bridge. If you do not already have it you can download it here:

Download Bridge - Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your actual objective?

The reason I ask that is because "Export" is generally used when you want to save the image for a website or something like that. Generally there is no need for exif data in an image within a website. (Export is particularly important when you need a variety of sizes or types of an image that will be used in a website where the image may end up being a variety of sizes o you may need both a jpeg and a png version.)

If you want to keep your EXIF data, just do a "Save As..." (Shift-command/control-s) and any of the image formats that you save into that has EXIF data will maintain your EXIF data.

Please let us know if this helps you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help,

The main reason is that I put my images on photo sharing sites that display the exif data next to the images but I'm always left with no data on lens/camera to help anybody else that wanted to know what I used and also to help myself when looking back through the images so that I can quickly see what focal lengths worked well and so on.

I can of course go back and find that image in lightroom and see the data there but to be honest my lightroom is really badly organised and I usually struggle to find my older images and the easier way for me to do that is through the galleries I have set up on the photo sharing sites.

I could use the 'save as' method instead but that's a little lacking in options for resizing and compressing... well I say lacking - there are no options. I suppose using the legacy save for web function would be my best choice by the sound of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, now that I know what you're doing, several things:

First off iF you can use "Save for Web..." you can do a resize but you cannot see the EXIF data there either because the goal of S4W is to get the image as small as possible for web view. But that is not your goal.

You could resize using Image (menu) -> Image resize... and then do the Save As... but I agree that would/could be tedious.

The best/fastest way to do this is with Bridge. If you do not already have it you can download it here:

Download Bridge - Adobe

SOMETIMES when you install Bridge after installing PS, what I'm about to say may not be there and if so you "may" need to reinstall PS. But first try quitting and restarting both Bridge and Photoshop.

So, if all is good, open up a folder of the images you want to work with in Bridge. Select the images you want to resize and save as JPEGS. Then, in Bridge, go to Tools (menu) -> Photoshop -> Image Processor. Within this you can see you can save the image into a variety of types, select the JPG option. Then type in the max height and width (this will do one or the other, it will not make square images), type in the amount compression you want (I use "7") and click OK. If you wanted the completed images in the same folder, they will be saved in that folder in a new folder titled JPEG.

If you select any number of images and let this run, they will be the size you want at the compression you want with all of the EXIF data you want.

For more information on Bridge, check out this 3-part article on Bridge

Bridge Part 1: Making Bridge Work for You - Customizing the Interface

Let us know if this solves your problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok thanks again, I removed bridge long ago because I couldn't see a use for it once I started doing photo management in lightroom.

That's probably the best solution because I can then save full size images with all the data and still compress/resize when needed easily.

I'll definitely check out that tutorial on getting bridge set up properly this weekend.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 15, 2018 Apr 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

garyc78841338  wrote

Ok thanks again, I removed bridge long ago because I couldn't see a use for it once I started doing photo management in lightroom.

Bridge is a great tool for doing some common tasks. But do not mess up your management in Lr when using Bridge.

In Lr, you can export your pictures with all EXIF data attached and you can resize at the same time, if that is your aim.

You could also use the image processor, which is part of Photoshop, but can be called from out of Bridge (starting Ps if its not yet started) for resizing and saving a bunch of files.

In Ps, you can simply use the “Save as“ to save all the Exif data with the file.

Only old Photoshop versions did trash the exif data at the time.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2020 Feb 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings!
Sorry for digging this thread up, but I'm having the exact same problem.
Using the latest Photoshop CC 21.0.3 and not being able to export an image with full exif data.

I use LR for first steps on images and PS for fine-tuning. If I bring them back to LR afterwards and export then, exif is there.
But no matter which export option I use in PS, there's never exif data like camera model, lens id and shutter parameters.
I've tried Save as... but there's no exif data.

I was wondering, why it is not possible in PS by a simple checkmark to keep all exif data, if I prefer it?
When I use Export as... there's only the option to keep copyright/contact information or no exif data.
Why is there no option to keep full exif data?

It's the same reason for me, uploading images to photo sharing sites and show exif data there.
I need to export images in different file sizes and resolutions for several platforms and always bringing them back to LR for exporting to keep exif data seems like an unneccessary step which could be easily done in PS.

Thank you and with best regards
Malu83

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2021 Dec 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Did you figure out a way around this? I am facing a similar problem with Photoshop 2022. I tried all that I could. But the exported JPG file does not have the EXIF data!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 08, 2021 Dec 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save for Web with Metadata set to All, as well as Save As do include EXIF data.

Export does not include EXIF data.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2021 Dec 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pers

Adobe Elements 19 does not hae the save metadata option on "save for web"

Is this in the more recent versions?  If so I would upgrade

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 30, 2021 Dec 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to ask in the Photoshop Elements forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 24, 2022 Jan 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The Save for web (legacy) export option works fine for me!
It preserves all exif data like camera model and lens.

But you have to make sure the image you're currently working on actually contains exif data.
I noticed when you use the protocol to open the current image in a new tab, it loses some exif data.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines