• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Keep ruler guides/grid fixed while rotating image?

Advocate ,
Nov 14, 2016 Nov 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can this be done?

I need to rotate an image to retouch, but need a true horizontal/vertical set of guides and grid to align things properly...

thanks

Andrew

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can rotate the image in 90 degree increments without doing any damage.

Image>Image Rotation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fully aware of that.

I want to rotate the image using the Rotate tool (R; arbitrary) and keep horizontal/vertical guides in place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you put the image on its own layer then rotate the layer using Transform > Rotate?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 23, 2017 Feb 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/John+Waller  wrote

Can you put the image on its own layer then rotate the layer using Transform > Rotate?

If you add Smart Object to that, then all bases are covered it seems to me, but why would a person want to rotate the canvas without its guides and grid?  Rotate Canvas is completely arbitrary and purely an aid to making better brush strokes.  Even the rotation point is random according to where the image is positioned on the screen.

Illustrators tend to construct square sided objects perpendicular to the image boundaries, and then rotate into final position, and sometimes even constructing perspective this way.  If you really want to leave the guides behind, then John's tip does that perfectly.

I think we are being trolled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2017 Feb 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to be able to do this too.  It seems like Adobe feels that the guides should move, which makes no sense to me.  What is the point of having them if they move.  There should be an option to keep the guides in place.   I have seen post after post of users requesting this and as always Adobe ignores it.  I will not be renewing my CS subscription when it comes due.  I find Gimp allows me to do everything PS does and the GUIDES DON'T MOVE. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2020 Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

use CTRL+T to transform the layer instead. You can then rotate it by grabbing near the corners and the guides will stay put.

I know this post is from 2016 but I came across it via a google search so thought I'd leave the solution here for others to see as well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 22, 2022 Dec 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's actually a good idea. I'm in the same situation myself where I'm restoring a photo and I need to copy one side of a person's face, flip it and use it to replace the damaged part of a person's face. The person's head is tilted and I need the photo to rotate and a straight verticle guide to ensure it's perfect. Please don't analyze the question or explain it to death with unnecessary information. Just answer the freaking question. K? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines