Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Keyboard and shortcuts suddenly not working in Photoshop 21/22

New Here ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh hello,

starting last evening I've encountered the problem of Photoshop (v22.5.2) not taking any keyboard input except for ctrl, alt, and spacebar. No keys for tool switches, no numbers for value changes, least of all shortcuts - which is how the problem dawned on me in the first place.

I've tried following all four out of five steps that are explained in the help forum (except the last one, since I am running Windows and it's macOS related), meaning I've reset my preferences, I've tried shutting down all other programs that might interfere, I have started in safe mode (both with and without networking; which was an unnecessary first step, because it won't let you sign into your Photoshop without an internet connection - bit daft from my side), and I have checked my Wacom drivers which were all up to date. Lastly I've tried uninstalling Photoshop, getting rid of all preferences once more and reinstalled to the updated version Photoshop 2022 (v23.0), but still encountering the very same problem.

At this point, I'm of course also encountering the scourge of getting the weird "sausage ends" (for lack of better term) at the end of my brush strokes, because I haven't had to use PSUserConfig.txt in a while and could not find the setting folder in the new folder system, nor did experimentation with Windows Ink do anything good, but that's just a minor side problem, since the biggest issue right now is the fact that I can't use Photoshop properly.

Did anyone encounter this problem before? Were you able to solve it? Any help is appreciated!

Bas

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, one more note: I have also tried restoring my Windows 10 to a recovery point two days prior to the problem, as well as testing a different keyboard, so the problem can so far only be traced back to Photoshop itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you installed any extensions at the OS level? Install any extension panels or plug-ins in Photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jeffrey,

I have no extensions, plug-ins, whatsoever installed, neither in Photoshop nor on OS level - especially none that would meddle with my keyboard. It's most curious, because it occurred mid-session and hasn't recovered since.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What region/language?

I sometimes get this with English OS and English Photoshop - but Norwegian keyboard layout.

Windows has separate settings for language and keyboard layout, so that's fine in itself. But there are some Windows shortcuts that might interfere, and some of them are pretty close to PS shortcuts. I just keep it in my taskbar, so when shortcuts start acting up, I can correct it right away:

language.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey D, thanks so much for the reply and sorry for the late answer!

I have a German keyboard with everything running on English (with a German keyboard layout). Until then it has never acted out of the ordinary and, especially with every other Adobe product experiencing exactly //zero// problems when it comes to keyboard input, I don't think it is a layout problem. I did try it, nevertheless, but came out of it with the expected negative result on its impact.
So far, the problem has yet to be solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines