• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Laptop freezes randomly, for four or five seconds, particularly in Photoshop

Advisor ,
Jul 13, 2020 Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My laptop has started randomly freezing for under 10 seconds, particularly after I open Photoshop.  Usually the mouse cursor is operational but it will not activate any action in PS I select.  Then after a short delay, it works properly again. I don't know what to do about this.

I have a Dell XPS 15 7590 laptop.  This is a 2019 model and is otherwise trouble free.  The only thing I am suspicious of is the Intel built in graphics unit which the laptop shares withan nvidia gpu.  PS is seeing the nvidia without problems.   I have the latest version of PS installed with updates.

I'd be grateful for any advice on how to sort out the freezing.

Thanks

David

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 13, 2020 Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David,

That shouldn't be happening, sorry to hear about Photoshop freezing. Could you please try deselecting "Use Graphics Processor" located in Photoshop's Preferences > Performance, then relaunch Photoshop and let us know if it helps?

Also, which version of Photoshop and the operating system are you working on?

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jul 14, 2020 Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  I'll try deselecting Use Graphics Processor as you suggest.  I hope this will not mean I lose the ability to rotate my canvas..I do a lot of painting and use canvas rotation a lot.  I'll give it a while and see if it happens again.

My Photoshop is 21.2.0 and OS is Windows 10 Pro 1909.  (The update for version 2004 is being blocked by Microsoft).

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jul 21, 2020 Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem is still there.  Just this morning, I open Photoshop and went to select a filter to apply to an image and the program froze.  The cursor kept working but would not interact with any clickable part of the workspace. I waited for 30 seconds but it did not correct itself so I killed Photoshop in Task Manager.  Workedd ok the next time I opened Photoshop.  Something is not right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jul 21, 2020 Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just to record that the 21.2 update did not solve the freezing problem.  I opened Photoshop after installing the update and got the same freeze behaviour - cursor moveable but nothing clickable/selectable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines