Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Large High Resolution image opening all white

Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2023 Aug 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I have a approxiamtely 9 Gb high res image that I can open fine in an image viewer such as irfanview.

When I open the same image in photoshop it is solid white. I read on a similar posted web question to goto:

Preferences>Performance.Advance settings> and then something in that but I dont see the same settings and Im sorry I cant remember the setting, perhaps GPU

I have version 23.5.5

It must be a setting in prefernces?  If it opens in irfanview, a free but I like it a lot viewer, it must open in photoshop.

Thanks for any help. I believe this is common but I cant find the answer

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2023 Aug 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Irfanview is displaying the embedded JPG rather than the full PSD document.  I am not entirely sure that turning off GPU acceleration, but you could try these settings in Preferences.

image.png

Do you have other versions of the file? Or are you stuffed if you can't open the PSD?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2023 Sep 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. No its not a .psd, its just a large tif around 9 gigs, its a georefernced image meaning it opens in a spatial location on earth but its just a tif. Im not sure why its just white, I thought it mustve had something to do with the large size of the image, so I thought maybe the cache/scratch size wasnt large enough.  I can try the settings that you sent and see it fhat works

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its a free map image, .tif that I can download from a website:

https://www.boem.gov/oil-gas-energy/mapping-and-data/map-gallery/northern-gom-deepwater-bathymetry-g...

Its a large tif image, and Im wrong, when I open it the image is solid white and the background is black

I look at the histogram and its not showing data. so Im not sure why

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Downloaded files are often corrupt. Try again.

Did you unpack the file once downloaded? These are zip files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I've got the correct tif image. Im not trying to load a zip file into photoshop. The image I have isnt corrupt. Its gotta be a setting in preferences or something else. Ive used photoshop quite a bit but im not certain Ive ever tried loading such a large image hence why I keep thinking its gotta be a preference setting. I can open in irfanview, and crop a smaller portion and it works in photoshop. Just not the 9 gig tif uncourrupted image. 

I can search google again for an answer, thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I see this from this forum:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/p-photoshop-23-3-opens-images-with-everythin...

But none of what they stated has worked on my image. Perhaps I can contact adobe and see

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines