• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lasso tool will not make tiny selections

Explorer ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The lasso tool works fine when I make most selections but once I go very small it seems to exhibit a smoothing/predictive motion upon first movement and it makes it impossible to make very tiny lasso selections (I have video of the issue I can upload later).  

I've been using photoshop for over 20 years and I could always make lasso selections quickly and easily even at this extremely tiny size down to a single pixel if I wanted to.  This week I have just purchsed a new M1 Mac Mini along with a Photoshop subscription.  I downloaded both the latest intel version and the m1 beta.  I turned off all gestures and touch controls on my wacom intuos pro.  The lasso reacts that same way in both Photoshop versions and I have tried changing multiple settings with nothing fixing the problem.  I'm on the latest Mac OS Big Sur updates.  I have also tried the lasso using a mouse and it exhibists the exact same problem.

For reference, the brush tool works perfectly down to a single pixel.  I have also tried Clip Studio Paint and the lasso works perfectly following my exact motion regardless how small I go.

Again, this happens with a mouse and a tablet and it only happens with the lasso in photoshop.

Any suggestions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Explorer ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also discovered that the program, Affinity Photo exhibits the same issue of not being able to make tiny lasso selections.  However, Clip Studio Paint does allow the lasso to make tiny selections and preceisely follows my inputs.

Specs recap: All new (one week old) M1 Mac Mini, big sur 11.2.2 and now .3, new install of creative suite, new install of intel Photoshop and new install of Photoshop M1 beta. Both the mouse and the wacom intuos pro tablet experience the same problem using the lasso and I have tested direct connect to the USB ports on the Mini and through my Apple Cinema Display hub.  I am not using bluetooth; everything is hardwired.

The original photoshop video clip I recorded is attached.  It shows half of the small selection attempts failing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 11, 2021 May 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem persists on the latest updates.  I still cannot make tiny lasso selections unless I zoom in further and it still feels like the lasso has some sort of predictive selection/smoothing delay.  See my video clip in previous reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem, it's like a smooth the stroke of the lasso and that prevent smaller selection. Tried everything but nothing work, any luck on this one? Maybe if you can repost this on bugs would be better to see if someone can take a look.

It's very annoying work like that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 14, 2022 Apr 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post a proper screen-recording and don’t cut off the relevant parts (Toolbar, Options Bar, …). 

What are the Lasso Tools settings in the Options Bar? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here you can see tiny lasso selections will not register, yet tiny pencil/brush selections work fine.  It really does feel like the lasso is trying to do a predictive smoothing upon initial stroke causing tiny motions to be ignored.  Whereas the pencil/brush tool has zero issues even down to single pixels using the same hand motions and zoom scale.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No luck yet.  No updates have helped and I've tried several setting changes in pshop preferences to no affect.  The strangest thing is, no other tools have this problem.  It's like Adobe accidentally turned on smoothing for a tool that shouldn't have it in the first place.  The lasso doesn't even have an option to adjust smoothing.  If it did, it would probably fix the problem -- just set it to zero, voilà! 😉 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You probably have snapping enabled and you're also zoomed out. Try disabling snapping, then zoom into 100% or more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Snapping is disabled.  I should not have to zoom in to 100%.  That slows down my production methods.  I've been working in photoshop for over 20 years and have never had this problem until I started tusing CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a new display? Is it higher-res than your old one? How can you make a small, accurate selection if you can't even see what you're selecting? 
And this just looks like a rendering issue to me. Whenever Ps can't complete a selection, you get a warning that no pixels were selected. I bet if you zoomed in, you'd see the selection...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not about making accurate selections but this is not the point.  I could always make any size selection with the lasso.  Even down to a single pixel on every old version of photoshop.  Now I cannot do that.  It's not that big of a deal, I can still work, but it should not be this way.  If I move the lasso tool it should register the selection even at these ridiculously tiny shapes.

The selection is not there, even zoomed in.  

I'm using the same apple cinema displays I've been using for a long while.  I've swapped from my apple monitors to a dell monitor to test it and it still happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

here it is zoomed in showing the pencil tool registering fine and the lasso having some problems.  Again, it's not a big deal, but the lasso should not have any trouble grabbing a quick little movement.  It never has the past 25 years on older versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem on Windows, same settings, no snapping, no graphic or wacom drivers problem/outdated. I installed Photoshop CS5 and CS6 and the problem is not there so is something that started with photoshop CC2019-22.
Clean installation, no extensions, the issue persist so this is a feature as @benpren said, a hidden auto smooth for lasso selections, a setting that we don't have a button to turning off. :S

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines