• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Latest Photoshop CC/Imac- Not enough RAM to open TIFF with 10GB spare????

Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2019 Jul 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got a 750Mb TIff file that is refusing to open on my PS CC (latest version). Coming back with not enough RAM error message. I have an Imac with 16GB of RAM, and have allocated 80% RAM in resources.  Checking resource monitor I have 10Gb of RAM spare.

Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Jul 02, 2019 Jul 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. What is your EXACT version of Photoshop, like 19.0.3? Please don't say "latest" because often problems happen when updates fail?

2. Please share the exact message, word for word. Or a screen shot would be good, but please DO NOT EMAIL IT.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop CC 20.0.5

Message is :-

Could not complete the Open command because there is not enough memory (RAM).

Also just tried it on another imac with 24Gb of ram, running same version of PS CC, and that can't open it either. Same error message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One reason would be insufficient space on your main drive. You would need at least 40 GB free or set up a external scratch drive and use that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I currently have 150GB of spare space in the drive dedicated for Photoshop Scratch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I'll try and input the error message into  the search box for other ideas. Also try it with Google. It's a common error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have your scratch disk prioritized as the first option in the Scratch Disk preferences? Is the Scratch disk drive with 150 GB free space external or internal?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, it's the internal SSD on my Imac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 03, 2019 Jul 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe there is something wrong with the tif.

You could try opening the tif file in something like Preview or Graphic Converter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can open and edit the TIFF in Bridge. If I crop it down and save it, it will open in PS. But I can't get the original file to open?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Bridge doesn't open files. Can you open it in Preview?

And how large in GB is the file? How large in pixel dimensions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines