• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Layers in photoshop problem

New Here ,
Jul 13, 2018 Jul 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I do real estate photography and have recently noticed that whenever I send two images from Lightroom as "open as layers in Photoshop" , Photoshop takes the images, the first image converts as layer one then it grabs the second image and converts it to a second layer then all of a sudden it grabs the second photo and places it on top of my first photo layer as a smaller image. For some strange reason it doesn't like underexposed images and it is this type of image that is the culprit.

Looking at the layers pallette it is showing the dark image with gray & white squares (pixels) around it.For the life of me I cannot figure out why. iIhave updated versions of both Lightroom & Photoshop in fact i uninstalled & reinstalled Photoshop this morning. Yet if I load the darker image a s a single layer in Photoshop there is no problem.The photos I am using are straight raw images from the camera into Lightroom.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2018 Jul 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are both raw images from the same camera? Have you cropped one of them in Lightroom? Can you post a screeen capture of your Photoshop workspace, and include the layers panel?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2018 Jul 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Theresa,

here is the screenshot. as mentioned .i can see it captue both images then it plunks the darker image ontop of my other image.All images are taken as raw transfered to lightroom then sent to photoshop.

Regards

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see any screenshot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys here is the screenshot..Capture.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't use Lr, but maybe it sorts layers alphabetically. If just for a test you change the order of names before "open as layers in Photoshop" would it change anything?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This usally happens when one of the images is a different size, but looking at your screen capture I don’t think that is what happened. It looks like you took bracketed shots of a room, probably with your camera on a tripod, then used “open as Photoshop layers” from Lr. If that’s what you did, it should work and the images should align to each other.

Does this only happen with underexposed frames? Have you tried lightening the image in Lightroom first, just to see if that really is causing the problem?

The underexposed layer is getting scaled down, but I don’t see that step reflected in the history panel. If you expand the history panel do you see it anywhere?

Can you confirm that both Lr & Ps are updated to current matching versions?

Have you tried opening the images as layers by starting from Bridge instead? This would tell us if it is a Lightroom issue, or a Photoshop issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2018 Jul 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Theresa,

Sorry for late reply , I uninstalled & reinstalled  Photoshop on the weekend. my lightroom is up to date as well. Do i really need to unistall & reinstall lightroom as well? I have the option to install Bridge but have never used it,Should I install bridge and try it in there? As you can see when doing real estate I take a number of bracketed shots in camera , dump them into Lightroom and then decide which frames I will pick for editing in Photoshop so as by using the layers in Photoshop after aligning the images I can then blend parts of one image into the other, e.g. window exposure. The situ of whether one image is darker than the other should make no difference as a layer in Photoshop shouldn't it? But somehow it is treating the darker image as if it has fewer pixels hence the smaller image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand your workflow. The scaling of the darker image does not make sense, and shouldn’t happen. You can do the same process starting from Bridge. I suggest that you try Bridge so that we can determine if this is a problem with Lr or Ps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Theresa,

Will install Bridge and try it in there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2018 Jul 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Theresa,

went and installed Bridge and what do you know? The layers work as normal! Did a photo shoot today , exported the same photo with 2 different exposures and it accepted both of them. i don't know what Bridge is doing as I never had to use this application before. Very strange however all good now. If it plays up again i will let you know. Photoshop & Lightroom can be very quirky at times. Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 17, 2018 Jul 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Maybe your camera raw plugin was not up to date and when you installed Bridge it updated camera raw. Lightroom and Photoshop need to be working with the same version of camera raw to play nice together. Happy it’s working for you now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines