• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

layers Panel

New Here ,
Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to to work with 2 images in the layers panel. I cant seem to get both images to show up in the Layers panel; to create a mask with one of the images, again I am new to PS and I feel so dumb not knowing this, can anyone help me wityh this???

thank you 

Bill

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@William5DDA 

The two images need to be in the same document and not in two separate documents. Try this:

• Window > Arrange > Tile to put both documents side-by-side
  • Move tool > Drag one image into the other window. Hold the Shif key to center it. Both are layers in the same file now.
  • Close the one document
  • Create a layer mask (Layers panel) on the upper layer

Show a screen shot if you need more help.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2023 Mar 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2023-03-23 at 6.31.07 PM.png

 My question is..... How do I get both images to show up in the layers panel to create a layer mask???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

 My question is..... How do I get both images to show up in the layers panel to create a layer mask???

By @William5DDA

Hi

I've copied and pasted from my earlier directions:

The two images need to be in the same document and not in two separate documents. Try this:

• Window > Arrange > Tile to put both documents side-by-side (you've done this step)
  • Move tool > Drag one image into the other window. Hold the Shif key to center it. Both are layers in the same file now.
  • Close the one document
  • Create a layer mask (Layers panel) on the upper layer

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill.  Has Jane answered your question?   Are wanting to compose the two images in the same document? 

Can you explain in more detail what you are trying to achieve, or perhaps show us an example of something similar?

In the example below there are two women on different layers, but we can only see the upper layer because it covers the layer beneath it.

image.png

We need to make room for both layers by expanding the Canvas (Ctrl Alt C or Cmd Opt C)

I've doubled the width of the cavas, and moved the two layers so that both woman can be seen

image.png

You mentioned masking, and that has become incredibly easy and accurate in recent versions of Photoshop.

Select one of the layers and the Select Object tool, and click on Select Subject in the Options Bar Note: your toolbar will not look like mine but you can find the Object Selection tool by holding down the shift key, and toggling through with the W key.

image.png

With the selection in place click on the Add Layer mask icon at the bottom of the Layers panel.  The background will be hidden.

image.png

Do the same with the other layer.  Add a new layer at the botttom of the layer stack, and fill with a colour, or use File > Place Embedded to bring in a new background image

image.png

Does that get you started?  Where do you want to go from there, (if that's whe you wanted to be)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

William5DDA_0-1679566851386.png

This is what I am talking about.  When I load the 2 images into PS in the work space they do not show up as two images in the Layers panel. Because I under stand the masking technique. I seem to have brain farted about the step to get started. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what I am talking about.  When I load the 2 images into PS in the work space they do not show up as two images in the Layers panel.

That seems to be untrue, I can see the two images in your screenshot. 

Increase the Canvas (Image > Canvas Size) and use the Move Tool (V) to move the Layers as necessary. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that was an example from someone else , I was showing what i want with ,my photos but I cabt get that way,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 24, 2023 Mar 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File > Scripts > Load Files into Stack 

Have you tried that? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another Option would be using 

File > Scripts > Load Files into Stack 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2023 Mar 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have tried that. Thank uou for respomding. I also enrolled in a Photoshp[ class so i can lear about the things I dont know. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another option-

1) Open ONE  image (background layer)

2) Go- Menu: File > Place Embedded

3) Choose the image for the second layer.  (it creates a Smart Object layer)

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines