• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lighting effects not showing handles so cant move or adjust them, have tried all common fixes.

New Here ,
Jul 11, 2021 Jul 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to use the Lighting Effects filter on the latest version of photoshop on windows with the latest version of Nvidia GPU drivers (1060 6gb card) on Windows 10. When I open the Lighting panel I can add lights and move the sliders but there are no handles to adjust and move the lighting itself. 

I have tried the Show > All settings and that doesn't work as well as the show transform controls workaround too. 

Pulling my hair out with this issue. Such a pain. Cannot find a fix and getting more and more frustrated with these PS bugs. 

Any help would be much appreciated. 

Thanks!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jul 11, 2021 Jul 11, 2021

Lighting effects, like 3D uses the old Open GL code. To use that, go to Preferences - Technology Previews and check Deactivate Native Canvas. Then click OK and close then restart Photoshop.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jan 20, 2023 Jan 20, 2023

@Ayush280299345ux0   Lighting effects uses 3D functionality which is deprecated and is being removed from Photoshop. If you need that functionality Adobe recommend v 22.2

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/photoshop/kb/3d-faq.html

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Sep 07, 2022 Sep 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried all the suggestions. GPU is compatible, RGB/8 bit, lots of RAM,  Deactivate Native Canvus is checked, Performance is set to the GPU and Use Open CL is unchecked... on and on. I even reset my prefrences. Still no adjustment handles. Any other suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As stated above in this thread, 3D (which includes lighting effects)  is deprecated and being removed. If you need 3D functions then you will need to use v22.2.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any alternatives other than an earlier version such as a good plugin? If not, I'll back up to v22.2. Thanks for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can have both the current version and v22.2 installed on the same PC.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Dave. That worked great. I'll use the older version for lighting. Appreciate your time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The earliest version I am able to install is 23.0. Did Adobe remove v22.2 all together?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Emily268270003tg8 I'm afraid they did, you can contact Adobe Customer Care and request a download link for version 22.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2023 May 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I laready have one old version installed to retain the brushes used for painting grass - which was also deemed no longer useful by Adobe after years of being there. How many versions should we keep installed to keep functions that is being removed? Backward compability is not the same as keeping all the old veersions available so we can install them all at the same time 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 09, 2023 Oct 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I laready have one old version installed to retain the brushes used for painting grass - which was also deemed no longer useful by Adobe after years of being there. 

What was the problem exactly? 

The Brush engine should still be able to handle old Brushes, the new options did not replace the old ones, including sampled brushes. 

Could you provide the abr-file for one and images to illustrate how it is intended to work and how it fails now? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2023 Apr 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So 3D is going, but why is Render>Lighting effects going too? It's not part of the 3D menu.

And what is Adobe offering as an alternative?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 22, 2023 Apr 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ignats27237843a7jz wrote:

So 3D is going, but why is Render>Lighting effects going too? It's not part of the 3D menu.

Lighting effects are part of the 3D engine.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/3d-faq.html

janee_0-1682200184584.png

And what is Adobe offering as an alternative?

By @Ignats27237843a7jz

You can use Photoshop 22.2 if you continue to need access to Photoshop 3D features. 

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 09, 2023 May 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Think of the logic of that: "Our new version isn't as good as our old version, so we should go back to the old version..."

Also, while Photshop may have attached Lighting Effects to a 3D model, lighting is fundamental to photography image management, building out 3D models, spheres and other effects isn't.  SO, "what is Adobe going to do about it?" is what I think we're all wanting to learn.... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2023 Dec 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone know of a third party plug in or fairly cheap alternative for adding lighting effects seeing as Adobe no longer do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2024 Jan 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just had the same problem and found a solution. Before you open the lightning effects go to VIEW -> Show and enable "3d lights" and "3d selection". It works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines