Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Line tool rounded caps not working

Sep 12, 2017 Sep 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mainly use Illustrator, where making a line with rounded caps is quite straightforward. I am trying to do the same using Photoshop CC 2017.0.0. I used the Line Tool to create a line and changed the stroke size as in the image below.

Screen Shot 2017-09-13 at 4.33.20 AM.png

Afterwards I selected the object and changed the cap to rounded as in the image below, but it didn't change. How can I solve this?

Screen Shot 2017-09-13 at 4.39.13 AM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 13, 2017 Sep 13, 2017

The shape tools in Ps are confusing. They don't work exactly like Illustrator, but close enough to throw us off. I think I've figured out why it isn't working for you.

If you use the Line Shape tool to draw a line it actually creates a line shape, not a stroked path like Illustrator does. With a round corner setting you get this effect.

2017-09-13_08-26-12.jpg

To draw a stroked path you need to use the pen tool. Make sure it says Shape in the options bar.

2017-09-13_08-28-04.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have the Align set to inside. What happens if you change that to centered or outside?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Align was already set to inside. When I tried outside and centered it changed the look, but still didn't change to the rounded caps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Align Centre or Align Outside should enable you to add Round Caps. If this is not working, try resetting the tool to its default setting. You may need to experiment with the Stroke Weight value to get what you're looking for too, this is on the very right of the control panel, next to Align Edges. The Line and Shape tools in PS are not the most intuitive! I feel your pain.

hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 13, 2017 Sep 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The shape tools in Ps are confusing. They don't work exactly like Illustrator, but close enough to throw us off. I think I've figured out why it isn't working for you.

If you use the Line Shape tool to draw a line it actually creates a line shape, not a stroked path like Illustrator does. With a round corner setting you get this effect.

2017-09-13_08-26-12.jpg

To draw a stroked path you need to use the pen tool. Make sure it says Shape in the options bar.

2017-09-13_08-28-04.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 04, 2022 Jan 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you! I was having the same issue ... your solution using the pen tool with "shape" selected and the *rounded* caps works beautifully.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2017 Dec 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem. What finally worked for me was that I set the line weight to 1 pixel and set the stroke weight to a higher number of pixels (15 pixels).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines