• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Locked] Please, Can't We Just Continue To Purchase Photoshop, not CC, Adobe?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2014 Feb 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please, could we just continue to purchase our programs, Adobe?

I cannot go along with the Creative Cloud only option.  Although Adobe is offering great "discounts" on the Creative Cloud versions, they will absolutely raise the price each year.  (That is clearly stated in their "Terms.")  Adobe's "special discount introductory offer" goes to the "current price" after the first year.  The $9.99 / month special offer becomes $19.99 or $29.99 after a year (or much more - it is completely at Adobe's discretion how high it goes).

I do not want or need the Cloud, Storage, or Collaborative "features" that are the hallmark of the CC releases.  I am pleased to wait for a year for new features.  (Updates for bug fixes should not be delayed, however.)

This is just like the cable and satellite TV companies, they surreptitiously raise the monthly price, until you are paying INSANE amounts.

Like Woody Allen said (my paraphrasing, sorry):

"If you put a frog into a pot of cold water and slowly bring it to a boil, he will just sit there and boil - because the discomfort change is so slow, he'll hardly notice it, until he is thoroughly cooked!"

Adobe wants us to be that frog.

And once we have all signed up and are comfortable in our plan, Adobe wants us to forget that we are (almost invisibly to us) paying each month - while the price goes up and up each year.

I just read about a student who signed up last year for the "introductory" CC pricing for students, and now his price is going up to $29.99 per month, after just one year.  And where does it stop? Do you think it stops at $29.99?

(Quick math solution: $29.99 X 12 = $359.88 PER YEAR, EVERY YEAR!  And this is not capped, so the upward monthly price is unlimited!)

Although I love the products, I don't want to pay another gouging cable or satellite company!

Thanks for listening.

And Adobe, could you please, please continue to offer our "old-style" purchasing of new versions of Photoshop?

I will not join the 'Cloud.'

Please join Me.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 01, 2017 Sep 01, 2017

As of January 2017, Adobe officially stopped selling Creative Suite software. 

If you want Photoshop, you have to subscribe to a Creative Cloud Plan.

The Photography Plan ( PS + Lightroom bundle) is currently USD $9.99/month (paid monthly for 1 year).

Other plan options are also available.

Creative Cloud pricing and membership plans | Adobe Creative Cloud

Nancy

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 08, 2016 Mar 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

paulaj71267751 wrote:

Because we have to get a new computer as our old one is dying. Since I can't copy over applications I have to buy new software. I am currently happy using my old version of Photoshop but will lose it when we get the new computer so that means I have to buy it again. As I mentioned above I am a senior citizen. I cannot afford to pay $1000 for new software!  I also can't commit to paying by the month for it as I already am struggling to pay for monthly expenses as it is.

On this part,  you do not copy Photoshop from one computer to another. You install it. All you need is the serial number and it should work.

So if you have the version you are using and the OS you will be running it on, there's a good chance you can continue with your old copy.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

paulaj71267751 wrote:

I'm not sure what you are talking about here. I never said anything about paying $10 per month.

The Photoshop Photographers plan also includes Lightroom, and costs just $10 a month.

If you need new camera support, how about Photoshop Elements for $99 outright?  A lot of people are perfectly happy with Elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

G'day Trevor,

Where are you located? Are you writing from Silly Valley? I am

originally from there (I grew up and went to school in Palo Alto Ca) and

worked over there for 20 years before migrating to Oz due to marrying an

Aussie. I started working as a graphic artist/tech illustrator on the

very first Macintosh Pluses in 1986 at a company called "Stanford

Telecommunications". I have a suspicion that you probably weren't even

born yet at that time! Ha, Ha! 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

P.S. Anything I buy has to be for the PC not the Mac. Reason is that my husband hates Macintosh computers. I don't know he does. He just does. Since he is the one buying the computer and I am just "The Wife" I have to go along with it. Such is life! LOL!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌Yes, Photoshop Elements is worth looking into. $99 USD gets you a perpetual version of it (serial number; works as long as your computer supports it). It also comes with a basic verson of Camera Raw. Give it a try for 30 days and see if it will work for you.

Another suggestion. Get a one-year prepaid card from an authorized reseller for the Photography Plan. You'll be good for a year and you can opt out of entering a credit card for auto renewal.

If you were only to consider Photoshop, it would take over 8 years for the Photography plan to reach the old $1,000 price tag. Chances are, you'd have to upgrade by that time anyway. And after 8 years, you likely wouldn't get a deal for upgrading. So $1,000 again. With the Photography plan comes Lightroom as well as free upgrades.

Anyway, a few options for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much for this info. It is very helpful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌Yep! And, yes, as Gene said, there is a good chance your current version of Photoshop would work with a new Windows OS such as Windows 10, though not officially supported. If not directly, possibly in either Windows 8.1 or 7 compatibility mode. What version of Photoshop are you running?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2016 May 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What if I just want Photoshop & Flash...? I'm only going to use these things for the stuff I want to make. And I'm also only doing it for a tumbnail, or just for fun... Fun! \o.o/

And I know that almost all of the people do it for fun.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Mar 09, 2016 Mar 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

paulaj71267751 wrote:

>Photoshop is a tool for professionals,

I write and illustrate children's books which I self publish. Is that not professional?

>and they need its continuing development, and tools that streamline their workflow.  To have access to that for just $10 a month is astonishing, and I can't understand how anyone can have issue with.

I'm not sure what you are talking about here. I never said anything about paying $10 per month. I just want to find a software that does the same things my old version of Photoshop does that comes in a BOX and that I don't have to pay for by the month in the cloud.

That's ok. Per my previous post with the links for alternatives I'll look into those and buy one of them.

For my own work I completely switched from Adobe products to alternatives (I do still have to use Adobe products in classes I teach, though). I had been a loyal user since Photoshop v3! I refuse to become a digital serf in Adobe's Digital Serfdom. I like owning my tools.

If you are on Windows, try a combination of Photoline with Krita. Photoline is as powerful as Photoshop in regards to image editing (in some ways actually more flexible), and only costs $65. The newest version is coming out this week, and even introduces true vector patterns, among other things. Unlike Photoshop Photoline supports real pages, and true full vector support. It offers a better workflow in many ways, in my opinion, and is a perfect replacement for Photoshop. PhotoLine: Image Processing & Design Software

I prefer to work in Photoline now, compared to Photoshop. The layer stack is much more refined - for example, layer masks behave like regular layers (even adjustment layers and layer effects can be applied to layer masks!), a layer opacity of -200 up to +200 is possible, and layers can be virtually cloned and update in real time. It loads PSD files with support for Photoshop smart objects (even Illustrator smart objects can be edited in Photoline!)

Photoline also supports standard Photoshop plugins, loads Photoshop brush libraries and gradients, and so on, and so forth. Two things are missing in Photoline: 3d and video/animation. I use other alternatives, such as Anime Studio, Davinci Resolve, and Fusion. Krita's latest betas introduces animation as well.

One of the best things of Photoline is that it can be hooked up to almost any external applications that can handle either bitmap or vector image data: send your layer to Krita, edit in Krita, and send it back. The result updates automatically in Photoline. Also works with Inkscape. I use Gimp as a plugin now! 🙂

The Photoline developers have been stunningly receptive for improvement and feature requests. Bugs are literally squashed within two~three weeks when a new beta version is released.

Since you are doing illustrations, I urge you to download and try the open source Krita as well. The paint options are far ahead of Photoshop currently, and it is amazing it is freely available to any digital artist. I switched to Krita a year ago for digital painting/drawing, and have not looked back to other illustration/drawing applications (well, I still do use ClipStudio alongside Krita - another one you may want to look into: CLIP STUDIO PAINT | CLIP STUDIO.NET ).

https://krita.org/

The latest alpha of Krita for Windows can be downloaded here:

https://krita.org/item/krita-2-9-11-and-the-second-3-0-alpha-build/

David Revoy uses Krita for his online open source comic "Pepper & Carrot". His Krita brush collections are great.

David Revoy - illustrator, concept-artist

Hope this helps a bit. It can be a difficult transition moving away from Adobe products which you have become accustomed to throughout the years, but I know more and more users who have done so now. More and more, students of mine prefer to use alternatives nowadays.

I am happier now with my workflow than I was when I still used Adobe software three years ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 17, 2015 Mar 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not needed a single one of the new "features" (I call them useless bloat)in Photoshop ever since buying a perpetual version of CS6 years ago for not much more than about $110 practically 3 years ago ($219.80 including tax and shipping for both CS5 and CS6.

How is paying a $120 a year tribute to Adobe "a steal"?  Oh, yes of course, Adobe would have been stealing from me all this time and would continue to do so forever and ever, per secula seculorum, ad infinitum!

I find it alternatingly amusing and ludicrous that an Adobe, barely-1,033-useless-points "MVP" (Most Vexatious Peddler?) with a handle like Warunicorn is trying to to convince me that being systematically ripped off by Adobe is a good thing. 

"A steal" indeed it is!  …but it's not a good thing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

station_two wrote:

I have not needed a single one of the new "features" (I call them useless bloat)in Photoshop ever since buying a perpetual version of CS6 years ago for not much more than about $110 practically 3 years ago ($219.80 including tax and shipping for both CS5 and CS6.

How is paying a $120 a year tribute to Adobe "a steal"?  Oh, yes of course, Adobe would have been stealing from me all this time and would continue to do so forever and ever, per secula seculorum, ad infinitum!

I find it alternatingly amusing and ludicrous that an Adobe, barely-1,033-useless-points "MVP" (Most Vexatious Peddler?) with a handle like Warunicorn is trying to to convince me that being systematically ripped off by Adobe is a good thing. 

Really?

Really? That's all ya got? lol

My goodness, it's like you're ignoring all the QoL improvements (and some creative). But just for reference's sake, here's a handy-dandy list just for version 2014‌ for users reading this to check out. (There's a link for the first release at the top.) Users can then decide for themselves if it's all "useless bloat." Your opinion doesn't make it fact.

It's a subscription. You're supposed to be paying per secula seculorum, ad infinitum, until you cancel, Adobe folds or the world actually ends (whichever comes first).

And, finally:

Ya close with an insult. That's just bad form, mensch.

I've only been here about three or four years now. I've managed to accrue a little under half of your points in that time. I like to think I'm helping people and they give me some credit in return (and Adobe recognizes me for that effort with the MVP badge). Sooo...you might want to stop with the ad hominem attacks. It's quite rude and a just a tiny bit snobbish as I've seen you do it before to others. I'm not saying you don't help, station, but you might wanna work on that attitude of yours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Warunicorn wrote:

…I've only been here about three or four years now. I've managed to accrue a little under half of your points in that time…

My total number of points over the years is well above 5,000 points, Unmensch.  I've had to re-invent my user id every time Adobe deactivates one of my accounts or set it to Read Only.

Here's a February screen-shot composite of just three of my IDs over the years.

AdobeForums_partial_acct_history.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Warunicorn wrote:

station_two wrote:

Really?

My goodness, it's like you're ignoring all the QoL improvements (and some creative). … Users can then decide for themselves if it's all "useless bloat." Your opinion doesn't make it fact.

It's a subscription. You're supposed to be paying per secula seculorum, ad infinitum, until you cancel, Adobe folds or the world actually ends (whichever comes first).

And, finally:

Sooo...you might want to stop with the ad hominem attacks. It's quite rude and a just a tiny bit snobbish as I've seen you do it before to others. I'm not saying you don't help, station, but you might wanna work on that attitude of yours.

I see no "QoL improvements" in any of the Cash Cow versions that would be remotely frelevant to my use of Photoshop as my digital darkroom.

You did a good enough job here of describing the horrors of putting your business or your life in the hands of Adobe while paying a monthly tribute for life, therefore there's no need for me to debate that point at all.

Snobbish is fine with me.  Stupid isn't.

You must have some delusions of adequacy that lead you to believe that you have any moral stature or authority to judge me.  I do not perceive you as having either.

You dont need points to become a MVP.

If you are a ACP, UGM, Instructor or Education Leader that qualifies too.

Join the experts

To me, it's very telling that you saw my pointing out your accumulated total of points "as an 'insult'".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, very coy. You must be a hoot at parties.

I get to use the latest and greatest version of Photoshop, all for a monthly low price (annually, if I so choose). TEH HORRORZ!!!!111!eleventey! Next thing you know, they'll want my soul!

(I wish we had a tinfoil hat icon.)

You are the one who used my MVP badge, points and username as a bridge to insult me, as if my opinion on the matter didn't matter in what amounted to calling me an uneducated rube. So now I'm calling you out on it. Sorry if I fire back but that's just how I roll. Deal.  /shrug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't mind being called names by an uneducated yokel or being barked at by a rabid dog.

As a matter of fact, I don't know what kind of a redneck you might be, and I have even less of an idea where you came up with the "uneducated rube" reference.  I'll just take that as a »Freud'sche Fehlleistung« or Freudian slip.

I'm out of here.  Thank you for your most illustrative reaction(s) to my remarks on my perception of the Adobe Cash Cow model.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, you're very welcome, oh erudite one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 16, 2015 Mar 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 22, 2015 Oct 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don’t subscribe to Creative Cloud.  Adobe CS6 seems to be the last perpetual license for Adobe products that I’ll ever own.

I’m running a 2009 Quad-core Mac Pro and a 2009 15” Macbook Pro so, I have the CS6 64-bit memory compatibility, with my six-year-old Macs.  I’m not going to have much incentive to upgrade my hardware since my Adobe software migration is at a stand still.  Maybe someday I’ll need to replace my hardware as it fails with age.

Mac OS 10.10x Yosemite has been a nice upgrade these last 12 months.  Perhaps OS 10.11 El Capitan‎ will provide poor compatibility with my aging CS6 apps.

The up and coming generation of creative pros is the big customer for renting CC.  Artists in their 20s and 30s don't find $49.95 per month to be large expense, since paying $69.95 per month for a smart phone plan is no big deal to them.  I'm 54 so, I still see the world through 1990s economics.  I have become as intransigent as my older creative associates who, back in the 2002, would never migrate away from Quark Xpress or Ventura Publisher for the state-of-the-art InDesign CS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. I am an old timer and started working/digital painting with Photoshop in 1994! If anybody out there has a copy of "Micro Publishing News" published in Northern California 1994 my artwork is in there LOL!   I want to be able to buy a basic version of Photoshop in a BOX. Call me Old Fashioned! I'm now 60 living on a Senior Pension and I CAN'T AFFORD TO PAY A FORTUNE to rent it by the month in the cloud. Grrrr! Is there no end to wealthy companies trying to rip people off?!!!! If I can't buy Photoshop in a box then I will look for another software that does similar things that is available to buy in a physical box. I'd be sad to part ways with Photoshop but I can't do the rent by the month in the cloud thing. SORRY!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2016 Jun 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well i can see where you're coming from but i got screwed out of a month to month plan when all they had available was a yearly and now 6 months and i am trying to cancel and will have to pay a $60 cancellation fee!!! WTF ADOBE NOT COOL. Tell us up front and NOT in fine print that there is a cancellation fee big and bold on checkout screen not in the middle of the terms and condition because no one ever freaking reads that. mark me as one VERY UNHAPPY CUSTOMER.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 08, 2016 Jun 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Surely that's not really a cancellation fee, it's just paying for the year you signed up for. Paying monthly is - what - 50% dearer? Clearly the annual plan is cheaper because you promise to pay for the whole year. Or do it seems to me. Maybe it isn't clear at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2016 Dec 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What Adobe has done is guaranteed that I will never use this product again.  It's a shame.  It really was excellent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2017 Sep 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i won't buy PS or any adobe product again, he11 with them!!!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can still buy Photoshop Elements.  No subscription required.

Picture editor software, photo enhancement tools | Adobe Photoshop Elements 15

Fantastic savings! Get 40% off Photoshop Elements.

Ends September 4th 2017

Regular price US$99.99

US$59.99

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As of January 2017, Adobe officially stopped selling Creative Suite software. 

If you want Photoshop, you have to subscribe to a Creative Cloud Plan.

The Photography Plan ( PS + Lightroom bundle) is currently USD $9.99/month (paid monthly for 1 year).

Other plan options are also available.

Creative Cloud pricing and membership plans | Adobe Creative Cloud

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines