• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lost the brushes last night, present only in preset format (.psp) and won't import.

New Here ,
Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was working last night on and Photoshop suddenly crashed. Had around 400 brushes created by me and now are available only in .psp format which I can't import, which is located in (C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2020\Adobe Photoshop 2020 Settings), and when I am trying to access the preset manager, there are only contours and tools to import, but no brushes. Another thing I tried was opening the .psp file directly and it doesn't open it and pops an error that states "Could not complete the request because it is not the right kind of document.". Total b*.

Hope anyone can help me with this stuff 😞

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If there is a way to export the .abr files out of the preset file, I would be very thankful. Thank you! Atm I am searching for a solution myself, but hope somebody can help me out with this too 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, did you try to install an older version (2019), and check if you can open it that way?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried. Doesn't work. Tried from the newest till CS3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, the Psp file has 400 unsaved brushes? how large is it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

~1.4GB file size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to open it in Adobe Fresco, but still, it doesn't read such formats and doesn't have the presets library, just pure brushes to import (.abr).

I tried to decode the .psp format and it includes two files of a total size of 1.4GB, but its contents are unreadable anyway. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2020 Sep 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Too bad Adobe doesn't care about people losing their stuff as long as their software is "intact". Doing hard work and ending with wasting months in vain is a perilous experience for their product users since nobody wants to fix their bugs or the vulnerability into their program code, making things older jewel creations incompatible in newer versions of their software. What a shame, and what's the sense of keeping this useless .psp file, generated by their own Photoshop product that can't be opened in either of the versions. The finale of this thread will be one shrugging his shoulders, nothing else. But I hope there will be an answer to this. Thank you in advance, and I am here, waiting for an answer to be told.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 13, 2023 Jan 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, this situation is bad, but I'm afraid that the developers might be in a bad situation: should they impose a limit in the number of brushes? what about those saving long list of small brushes. Also, I'm wondering if there is a way for Photoshop to know the size the file will have once saved.
Pinging @Daniel Presedo 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines