• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

M: Catalina - Save as/Save as copy not changing file name or extension

Participant ,
Oct 09, 2019 Oct 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happened today, yesterday it was working fine.  I have all the latest CC updates.

With my Photoshop file open, I go to FILE, SAVE AS, tick AS A COPY, choose format .jpg

Filename remains .psd therefore it has to be changed manually.

Yesterday I updated to Catalina. Could there be a correlation?

Does anyone have a fix please? T.I.A. 🙂

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Deleted User
Oct 09, 2019 Oct 09, 2019

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Oct 09, 2019 Oct 09, 2019

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 144 Replies 144
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2019 Oct 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My problem with the latest version of PHOTOSHOP: If I try to save a tif file as a jpg file (or any other file format), the file name above doesn't change automatically as it did it all the times before. I must type in the right file format by hand. Any idea where the problem is?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It’s a known bug with Catalina. See the Help page:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-and-macos-catalina.html

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 14, 2019 Oct 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You’re welcome, Mat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2019 Oct 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys I have an issue with saving my documents in other resolutions

Maybe someone fixed it

Снимок экрана 2019-10-13 в 2.46.43 AM.pngСнимок экрана 2019-10-13 в 2.46.48 AM.png

It's not working on the resolutions are different that document own

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you should use the "File / Export >" instead of "File / Safe as..." 

Your screensprints show the Safe as.. dialog box. "Export >" is on the 12th line in the "File" menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, but it should work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what you mean by "should work". Your screen shots show the correct Save as dialog, the same dialog two times. No error messages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

on my mac, I have to change the file extension manually, because when I select other extensions like .jpeg .png .pdf, it still saves it in the .psd 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hola, con la nueva actualizacion de cc2019, no consigo guardar los archivos a jpg.Alguien sabe porque?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry that you cannot save files to JPEG format in Photoshop. Are you using the Mac OS latest Catalina version?

If so then, there are some known issues with the latest Mac OS and Photoshop, please check out this article to know more about it and available workaround for this issue: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-and-macos-catalina.html#Filenamingoptionsdontworkcorr...

Let us know if that helps.

Thanks.

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I cant seem to save as a PDF.  Not sure what I am doing wrong? I have done many before, but now wont work properly. 

File 

Save As 

Photoshop PDF 

Everytime I save as PDF, it doesnt. It shows as a .PSD

How can I get to save as a PDF properly? 

Thanks for your help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you on a recently upgraded Mac to Catalina? There has been major issues with that.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/Photoshop/A-letter-to-our-Photoshop-Community/td-p/10662297

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, that is what i am using. pdf is very basic and should work though. This is terrible. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried to "Print" to PDF? I'm not on Catalina yet so I can't test it.
Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I tried to Print as PDF but that does not work either. There is now no option to select "save as pd" in PS. When I do this, only my two connected actual printers show up. I need to get a project made as a pdf to send to a printer. This is terrible for sure!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it is really bad, very simple things like saving other types of files aren't working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

does anyone have a problem with Photoshop changing from .psd to .jpeg since the upgrade? well I am.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which upgrade please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes

I am using Photoshop CC 20.0.6 and I can't save a PSD file to a jpeg.

And I've tried using the Image Processor menu item in Bridge under Tools/Photoshop, and that process will not convert a PSD to jpeg either

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you upgraded Photoshop to 20.0.6 (not, for example, your system or compute)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens when you try to save as JPEG now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When saving files and changing the file format (file extension), the file extension in the file name is not automatically changed to reflect the file type selected in the Format dropdown. For example, when saving a .psd file to a .jpg, one would normally select JPEG from the Format dropdown, and the file extension in the file name would automatically change from .psd to .jpg, but it's remaining as .psd. If not paying attention, it's very easy to save, and subsequently overwrite, a .psd file as a jpg that remains labeled as a .psd. When trying to reopen that .psd file, Photoshop renders an error: "Could not complete your request because it is not a valid Photoshop document." The reason for this is because it's labeled as a .psd but is really a .jpg file. The same action takes place for any file format selected. The problem is Photoshop overwrites the original file using the new format but keeps the original file name and extension. This mismatch is what creates the error. Please see the video attached for the demonstration.

Current OS: Catalina 10.15

Current Photoshop: 20.0.6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• This is an issue with Catalina.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry that the File naming options don't work correctly in the Save As dialog in Photoshop 20.0.6.

This is a known issue in the current version of Mac Catalina and Photoshop and we are working on this issue. See this article for more information https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-and-macos-catalina.html#Filenamingoptionsdontworkcorr... 

Let us know if the mentioned workaround works for your workflow. 

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines