Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Macbook M1 Air with HDR monitor: 30 bit option greyed out in Photoshop

New Here ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Macbook M1 Air with 8GB and 256SSD attached to a BenQ SW271 in HDR mode. MacOS recognizes and activates the monitor correctly as a HDR display, but Photoshop (current 2022 version) shows the 30bit display option greyed out. Is Photoshop able to support the full color spectrum of my SW271 on the M1 Macbook? How?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021
The following things need to be set in order to view HDR on Mac: 1. In System Prefs > Displays choose a Preset that supports HDR (P3-500 or greater, I'm using P3-1600) 2. In Photoshop go to Preferences > Technology Previews > and enable Precise color management for HDR display 3. Quit and re-launch Photoshop and should be able to see HDR images displayed correctly to screen

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use SwitchResX to test and see if the monitor that's connected is displaying billions of colors mode i.e. outputting a 10-bit signal. That's probably the issue.  Check to see which of the cables used supports the highest bit depth and make sure that is what your using.  Hopefully that helps!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob, thanks for your advice. Fortunately, the cable is not an issue and SwitchResX shows a billion colors. Unfortunately, Photoshop does not. Any idea where to look?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this: in PS prefs / general. Click Reset Preferences on Quit and restart Photoshop 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The following things need to be set in order to view HDR on Mac:

1. In System Prefs > Displays choose a Preset that supports HDR (P3-500 or greater, I'm using P3-1600)

2. In Photoshop go to Preferences > Technology Previews > and enable Precise color management for HDR display

3. Quit and re-launch Photoshop and should be able to see HDR images displayed correctly to screen

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines