• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Magic Wand Selection will not cut, clear or delete

Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2019 Sep 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone help me? I have made a selection with the Magic wand tool by placing a puzzle template on top of a picture. I can make the selection, but I can not cut or delete my selection. I have added a background layer underneath the picture I am trying to cut, decreased my feathering and incresed my tolerance, all the things to selecct exactly what I want on the underlying layer. It just won't let me cut the selection. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the layer you're trying to cut the active layer? Are there pixels in the area you are trying to cut? Is the layer locked? Is the layer a shape layer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes the layer I am on the active layer. Yes, there are pixels in the area I am trying to cut. the layer is not locked. The one above the actual layer i am trying to cut is a shape layer. its the layer I used to make the selection, then I move to the layer I wanted to cut.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the layer a smart object?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe so, or at least i tried to make it so. I took a picture and then framed it by creating a slightly bigger box behind it. then exported everything (PNG), and then placed it on a different canvas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 16, 2019 Sep 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A smart object is not directly editable for this purpose. If you want to cut or delete the selection you have to rasterize the layer: right click on the layer and choose Rasterize Layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! this worked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another option is to use layer mask on Smart Object layer for see-through or cut effect. This is even better, non destructive option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I also tried this, and it worked like a charm as well!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines