• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

magic wand when high contrast

Contributor ,
Apr 04, 2024 Apr 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to master the magic wand selection working with the latest version of Photoshop on a Dell laptop. Disregard the quality of the image. If I wanted the magic wand to just select the black lines that indicate the book what setting would be optimum. The contrast between the yellow background and the black lines is great so if I could get the wand just to snap onto the black that would be ideal. I want to copy it and paste into another image. 

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 04, 2024 Apr 04, 2024

@joelh33703351 the magic wand can be adjusted in the options above. Changing the Tolerance setting will increase or decrease the selected pixels. Holding the shift key and clicking will add to the selection.

IMO the magic wand is ok - but there are newer/more efficient tools/means to make this selection.

Using the Quick Selection tool for example can allow you to brush your selected areas. Holding Alt will deselect any unwanted selections.

Another option would be to use the Select menu>Color Ra

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@joelh33703351 the magic wand can be adjusted in the options above. Changing the Tolerance setting will increase or decrease the selected pixels. Holding the shift key and clicking will add to the selection.

IMO the magic wand is ok - but there are newer/more efficient tools/means to make this selection.

Using the Quick Selection tool for example can allow you to brush your selected areas. Holding Alt will deselect any unwanted selections.

Another option would be to use the Select menu>Color Range and have it select the black color at once.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could also duplicate the layer and use the magic eraser to eliminate the yellow.

Then select the book and create a new layer from the selection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you want to use the element in the receiving image? 

In a case like this I wonder if a crude Layer Mask and Blend If-settings might not be a better approach. 

Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 17.31.46.pngScreenshot 2024-04-04 at 17.32.11.pngScreenshot 2024-04-04 at 17.32.58.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It’s easier and faster to draw a path to the desired outline of the shape and then turn it into a selection or mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines