Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

make pure black

Contributor ,
May 25, 2019 May 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how to make an image pure black?

I found something before, but now want to ask the forum people of how they do it

smoothening the curves which now look like pen marks on paper (possible?)

thank you for your response

problem make image pure black 00.PNG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mean pure black in the sense of »only printing in the K channel in CMYK output« or what else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, pure black

fx color overlay makes it black

not satisfying

workflow from sketch to black icon possible?

problem make image pure black 01.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How does the Color Overlay fall short?

Could you post the unedited image?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

unedited

(I do not know why the image rotates while placing it in this post, but I hope it is visible)

20190525_110106415_iOS email.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would recommend using Blend if-settings and applying Color Overlay to a Group containing the Layer.

Screen Shot 2019-05-25 at 14.04.14.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

select color range>select all pixels>mask it over a black sheet

now smoothening part? I was thinking feathering or select and mask and then smooth, but no succes

it there something like 'cluster pixels together' to make it something more 'icon like'

I know photoshop is not 'one-click-and-get-a-everything,' but is there a 'cluster pixels together thing?'

problem make image pure black 04.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think he means 0-0-0 instead of the charcoal grays here. A simple levels adjustment will do that, just drag the black input slider to the right.

Vanilla, I hope you're doing this with layer masks, which allows you to go back and readjust the mask later to get the perfect selection. It looks like you may have made the selection first, and then used it to permanently delete the background. That's a one way street and you can't fix mistakes later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you for your response

how do you mean?

problem make image pure black 02 small.JPG

problem make image pure black 03 msall.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does Threshold work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you Jane

do you might also know a way to 'cluster the pixels together' to make it more 'icon-like' in photoshop?

like image trace illustrator but than in photoshop?

problem make image pure black 05.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You’re welcome, Vanilla Vanilla,

Maybe, except that I’ll need a definition for “icon-like”!

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but there is no blur tool or something like that which filters the dense pixels whereafter the pixels can be offset?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Vanilla,

There is a blur tool and there are also blur filters.

One of your screen shots is in Illustrator. Are you trying to clean up the image in PS before doing an Image Trace?

Can you tell us what your goal is? I think if we know that we can collectively give you a better answer!

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried with illustrator image trace to clean the image, yes.

If the best workflow is: PS select pixels> PS threshold to blacken> PS cleaning (what is best way to clean)> AI image trace to clean up odd dots and fading pen strokes of original image

My main goal now (after threshold) is to clean up the image to make it as iconic-like as possible, without using PS or AI lines or tracing it manually; basically, I am trying to get a clean sketch, yes, true.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Vanilla,

How well do you know Image Trace in Illustrator? You can trace with fill or strokes or both. The presets select that for you, but you can customize the settings.

By default you preview the final result, but you can also preview the paths to make sure it’s what you want. (There are four things available to preview.)

Be sure to spin open the Advanced section (I call it “Required Settings” instead of “Advanced”) and change those controls.

If you use B&W in ImageTrace, your image will be pure B&W, not grayscale. The Threshold setting in Image Trace is the same as Threshold in PS, so try dragging that control in ImageTrace. The default is 128, right in the middle.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also duplicate the layer by pressing Ctrl+J.

It gives you a better result.
You can merge layers after that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can easily do that by using the Levels command  Image> Adjustment> Levels or Press Ctrl+L
Adjust the Shadows stop till you get the black you need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The very first thing to do in cases like this is always to correct uneven lighting (curves and layer mask painted in):

lighting_2.jpg

Then set black and white endpoints to maximize the workable contrast range:

endpoints_2.jpg

So now you have a much better starting point to use any of the techniques outlined above, and the end result will be much better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines