Exit

Masking Question

Participant ,
May 08, 2023 May 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Everyone.

I have a masking question.

I have an image, it's a grungey, nasty, smearly black and white image... I want to use that as a mask for one of my layers.  I cannot seem to figure out how to make that happen.

I can make a mask for the base layer but if I try to cut and copy the grungey black and white layer into the mask, PS will not do it.Screenshot 2023-05-08 at 4.54.19 PM.png

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 08, 2023 May 08, 2023

Hi @Franky Spills copy the pixel layer using select all/copy. Then select Layer 0 Copy 5 mask. Go to the channels panel and activate the mask channel and paste into the mask channel. Turn the mask channel visibility off after pasting.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , May 09, 2023 May 09, 2023

Hi @Franky Spills I think you misunderstood after looking at your layers panel. You need to have your black grunge on a transparent background - not on white (and not set to 0% opacity).

kevinstohlmeyer_0-1683636269254.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Franky Spills copy the pixel layer using select all/copy. Then select Layer 0 Copy 5 mask. Go to the channels panel and activate the mask channel and paste into the mask channel. Turn the mask channel visibility off after pasting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow... I would've never gotten there.  That worked.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ONe other question.

Can I then apply an individual adjustment layer to just the clipping mask?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Franky Spills you can't apply an adjustment to a mask. What you can do is create a clipping mask by using a transparent layer of your grunge image set below your photo, then clip the photo to that and any adjustments as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kevin.

Not sure I'm quite following you yet.

I take my gunge layer, make it transparent,  Set it below my image and then clip it.  

I'm good through that... but when I do it... my entire canvas turns invisible...

If I add an adjustment now to my grunge layer... nothing seems to happen.  Can you tell me what i'm doing wrong?

See if my attachment helps you any?Screenshot 2023-05-08 at 6.01.11 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 09, 2023 May 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your opacity is set to 0. There is nothing showing on the Grunge layer...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Kevin.  You still around?  See my question above if you are.  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Franky Spills yes I'm still here but we are volunteers, not 24 hour support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Franky Spills I think you misunderstood after looking at your layers panel. You need to have your black grunge on a transparent background - not on white (and not set to 0% opacity).

kevinstohlmeyer_0-1683636269254.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats It.  Did the trick.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah. Totally Understand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2023 Sep 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines