Exit

Matte in black

Explorer ,
Jun 15, 2024 Jun 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all.
Yes, the title is the same) I agree.
I look at any photo and cannot achieve perfect black. At first, I was guilty of the fact that many of my photographs suffer from the fact that the dynamic range in the shadows in the photograph is very compressed. But, when I tried to export images to jpg format, and made the output option as srgb, then in the same Google Chrome browser I see that black is black, and not some kind of matte, hazy color. The situation is similar in Mozilla Firefox. The black there is the black in my photographs. On a smartphone (iphone 13), in the “photo” program, the same black is black, not matte, as in my photoshop, lightroom, acr.
I calibrated and profiled the monitor using i1Display pro. The colorimeter itself was recently tested by comparing the result with the X-RITE I1 PHOTO PRO spectrophotometer. I profiled them the same way - a similar result. Some kind of dullness in black tones is visible in the image if you open it in programs that support cms windows - photoshop, etc.
I can assume that Internet browsers or smartphones do not support color reproduction correctly, but should I see black in programs that support a color management system?

And I can't understand the reasons.
System: windows 10 21h2.
Adobe Photoshop Version: 25.9.1 20240610.r.626 x64
Nvidia rtx 4070

I looked for the topic, but couldn't find it. There are a lot of topics about all sorts of gamma shifts. About calibration and others, but the point I mentioned is just a disaster.
What is needed here is a person who understands the basics of this system, but I don’t know where to find him.
I am asking for help in this forum. Please help.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Explorer ,
Jun 15, 2024 Jun 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't anyone understand color management systems?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 16, 2024 Jun 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@marvinaustin I'll tag @D Fosse 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You haven’t mentioned which RGB Space you are working in so please set the Status Bar to »Document Profile« and post meaningful screenshots taken at View > 100% with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Options Bar, …) visible.

And also the resulting jpg. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It would help to see a side by side screenshot.

All major web browsers today are fully color managed and should display identically to Photoshop. Any application that supports color management should display correctly.

Sorry to ask the obvious, but is the profile actually embedded in the exported file? Did you check "embed color profile" in Export / Save for Web? Note that the Export preview is not correctly color managed - that's an old bug that has gone unfixed for a long time. But it's just the preview; the exported file is fine.

A defective monitor profile can affect color managed applications differently. One thing that some applications have problems with, in some configurations, is table-based (LUT) monitor profiles. The most common symptom is incorrect black representation. Some calibrators are set up to make LUT profiles by default. Check that in your software, and if it is, change it to matrix-based (always safer) and make a new profile. The same goes for v4. Change it to v2.

One simple test you can do is open a new Adobe RGB document in Photoshop (better than sRGB for this, because it has a regular tone curve near black). Fill it with something that has areas of 0-0-0 black. Then make a screenshot. Assign your monitor profile to the screenshot, and then convert it back to Adobe RGB. Is it still 0-0-0? It should be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines