not just the same space and layer

i want it as 1 object

same materials

and same options

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 06, 2017 Feb 06, 2017

If they are both in the same 3D layer you can select both in the 3D panel and then right click and choose "Group objects"

The two objects will move /scale  together, with a single control if you select the group or individually if you select either object.

You can set the material to use the same texture in both models. As in this simple example of a cube and a cone - both in a group and set to use the same yellowish diffuse texture

I hope that helps you

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 05, 2017 Feb 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They will not become one object they will be objects in the same scene. Here I merge a sphere, 3D layer with a cylinder 3d layer then merged a ring 3D layer  into the  merged 3D layers.  I then  size each and position each object relative to each other in the scene and animated the scene objects

Capture.jpgMcAsseyBallSmall.gif.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 06, 2017 Feb 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If they are both in the same 3D layer you can select both in the 3D panel and then right click and choose "Group objects"

The two objects will move /scale  together, with a single control if you select the group or individually if you select either object.

You can set the material to use the same texture in both models. As in this simple example of a cube and a cone - both in a group and set to use the same yellowish diffuse texture

I hope that helps you

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2020 Nov 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

What about if I want to apply a graphic to this group (an illustration)? I am trying to map an image to a complex 3d object created of several shapes, and this cannot be done if the different shapes are not one unique object.

Please let me know in case there is a simple solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 06, 2017 Feb 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way to do it is to export the 3D object into a program like Blender (free) or any other 3D application. Merge it there, and export it back to Photoshop.

May I ask why you want one 3D object? Sometimes grouping several objects together can be as efficient, if not more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2022 Apr 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop or Dimension you said?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Feb 07, 2017 Feb 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also go to the 3D area in tool bar and click on "Merge 3D Layers." after you hold down the Command key and right click on the 3D layers you wish to merge.

Screen Shot 2017-02-07 at 10.19.20 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Feb 07, 2017 Feb 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are more than one helpful (not correct) answer in this forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2020 May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning I am drawing the path of a bottle in Ai, c&p into Ps, make it 3D, then I path the shape of the inside edge of the bottle, c&p that into Ps and make that 3D too. when I merge they are in two different placed, how do I get them to be in the same position so when I import them into Dimension I can choose glass for the outer layer & a wine colour for the inner layer

Thank you 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2023 Apr 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can also create 3D objects in Illustrator and import them into Dimension.  It's a huge time saver! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines