• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

metadata error--title and subject same, but not the same

New Here ,
Dec 02, 2022 Dec 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having a problem where Photoshop does not read nor retain the "Comments" metadata I have added in Windows Explorer.  I am working with photos of ancestors and want to note who, what, where, when in the metadata.

Having not been able to resolve that issue, I tried manipulating it in different ways to see what metadata Photoshop would read and retain. 

When I add the comments/description I want in the "Description" box in Photoshop, it saves as both "Title" and "Subject", but not "Comments". 

When I add the metadata in Windows Explorer as "Subject", Photoshop does not read nor retain it. 

When I add the metadata in Windows Explorer to "Title", Photoshop reads it as both "Title" and "Description" and will save as both "Title" and "Subject".

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use Adobe Bridge to edit metadata not Windows Explorer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still doesn't address the issue that metadata entered in Photoshop does not appear in the expected place--(1)"Description" in Photoshop ends up as "Title" and "Subject" in Explorer, (2) Photoshop doesn't read "Subject" field in Explorer, (3) Photoshop reads "Title" from Explorer and populates both "Title" and "Description" in its own metadata.  I was trying to report this as a bug, not get a solution.  

I have thousands of images with metadata already entered, I'm not going to go back and re-enter it all.  I will do what I have to, if I need to edit any of the photos, now that I have figured out my own work-around.  Certainly, going forward, I will do as you suggest when I have new metadata to enter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: Bridge does the same as Photoshop in the above description ("Description" in Adobe becomes both "Title" and "Subject" in Explorer).  Interestingly, if the metadata description is entered through either Photoshop or Bridge, it only appears in "Description" in Adobe upon re-opening.  If entered in "Title" in Explorer, it appears as both "Title" and "Description" in Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still doesn't address the issue that metadata entered in Photoshop does not appear in the expected place

By @gretchens48591515

This would be a Microsoft issue, yes?

Adobe apps are writing to cross-application, cross-platform, open industry standards.

Microsoft and Apple are not always doing so, or only partially doing so.

Edit: in both cases, you first need to examine where each app is writing the metadata which is often to multiple locations for redundancy.

Then you need to ask is it being written to the correct place, should it be written there?

Then for the app reading the file, is it reading the appropriate entry, especially if there are multiple entries.

It's a mess!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree 100% with @kevin stohlmeyer –  use Bridge, the Microsoft "XP..." metadata is proprietary and should be avoided.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/bridge-discussions/wondering-where-quot-comments-quot-section-in-deta...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to raise a bug report rather than a discussion for this to be seen by Adobe staff. Metadata is a mess between different software (operating systems and applications). Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 05, 2022 Dec 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines