Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Move tool broken

Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2017 Jan 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the situation:

I have a layer selected. Using the move tool, I click on my canvas and drag to move around the current selected layer. This is how it's always worked for me. A few days ago, something else started happening. No matter which layer is selected, when I click and drag with the move tool, it automatically selects and drags around the layer that I visually clicked on. If I hold command when dragging, the move tool behaves as it did before and I can click where I like without having to worry about selecting a unwanted layer. But I don't want to always have to hold down the command button.

Any suggested fixes would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Additional details:

I am using the newest version of Photoshop CC

I use a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)

I am running macOS Sierra Version 10.12.3

I have already tried restoring my Photoshop preferences

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Photoshop

This problem occurs in any file I open

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 31, 2017 Jan 31, 2017

It sounds like somehow, the Auto Select option got checked. When you're on the move tool, look up at the beginning (left side) of the Options bar (the bar across the top of the tabs in Photoshop). Make sure "Auto-Select" is unchecked, and things should go back to normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 31, 2017 Jan 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like somehow, the Auto Select option got checked. When you're on the move tool, look up at the beginning (left side) of the Options bar (the bar across the top of the tabs in Photoshop). Make sure "Auto-Select" is unchecked, and things should go back to normal.

Adobe Community Expert / Adobe Certified Instructor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2017 Feb 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was it. Thank you very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 01, 2017 Feb 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yay! Glad to help. The only way I learn that one is by accidentally doing it a dozen tomes!  

Adobe Community Expert / Adobe Certified Instructor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines