• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Moving a selection while it's being drawn

New Here ,
Jun 05, 2019 Jun 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A long time ago I was able to move a selection with the spacebar while it was being drawn. An example is while using the elliptical marquee tool I could hold down the shift key to constrain (works fine) and use the spacebar to move the elliptical selection to it's desired space. The shift key is still pressed down first and second pressing the spacebar to move the marquee. This worked great for selecting something as simple as a ball, as the starting point of the marquee could be moved while drawing to the desired ending point position. Is this feature gone? I now use Photoshop CC 19.1.8 on Mac OS 10.11.6. I have noticed this in the past with other versions of Photoshop and other operating systems. If this feature is gone is there a way to recreate it in prefs or tool shortcuts? Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

It still works here on Windows 10 so it may be Mac (or Mac version) specific. Hopefully someone with a Mac will confirm soon.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks davescm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Mac I'm using at work uses MacOS 10.12.6 and CC2017 and I can't replicate it.  My personal Mac is more up to date with both Photoshop and the OS so I'll try it there as well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, DaveJCummings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 06, 2019 Jun 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works fine on my Mac, I can move the selection while it is being drawn with the spacebar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea, I have no problem with that on Win. If it isn't a Mac thing, which I doubt, maybe reset your preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resetting preferences did not work, Thanks, Chuck Uebele.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bradc18761857  wrote

No, it’s not gone. For a circle, it’s Shift + drag with the elliptical marquee, don’t release, and spacebar drag to move the selection.

If you accidentally release and drag with the spacebar, you will be panning instead.

For testing purposes, try without Shift and try other shapes.

What is happening when it doesn’t work? What does the mouse cursor look like? Or are you using a tablet?

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane, I tried with other selection tools and it still did not work. I tried without shift and it does not work either. The cursor remains as a crosshair, which it should. I am using a mouse not a tablet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, while drawing your circle or square marquee shape, before you release your shift key, hold down your Command key and space bar at the same time, then release your shift key to move it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you , it's working now🙂.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the space bar perform as it should in other respects?  Does it bring up the Pan (hand) tool for instance?

Do you have any plugins loaded that might have stolen focus of the space bar?

Are you doing this with mouse or tablet? Or even trackpad?  That might make a difference (it works OK with tablet Win10 here)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis, the spacebar works fine in all respects other than this. H works for the hand tool, but the spacebar does not work for the hand tool. The only plugins are from within Lightroom, and that is just Nik Effects. Lightroom and Nik Effects are not open. As I mentioned earlier I am using a mouse. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2019 Aug 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing exactly the same issue and I'm really missing it from my workflow. Can anyone shed some light onto why this isn't working like it was? OSX 10.14.6 PS 20.0.5

I hope we can get this resolved

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2019 Sep 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on Windows 10 and having the same issue. Are you working on a desktop or laptop? Using any external hardware like a pen or a graphics tablet? I am on a laptop myself. I am wondering if this is part of why it is not working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2021 Nov 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue, too, on my MacPro2016. While drawing shapes or a selection, holding spacebar does nothing. I was hoping someone has a solution to this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 06, 2023 Oct 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im having the same issue, hope there is a solution for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What have you done for all-purpose trouble-shooting so far?
Restoring Preferences after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved might be a good starting point:
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-trouble-shooting-steps.html
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-gpu-graphics-card.html

Please read this (in particular the section titled "Supply pertinent information for more timely and effective answers”):
https://community.adobe.com/t5/using-the-community/community-how-to-guide-tips-amp-best-practices/td...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before I was able to move a selection with the spacebar while it was being drawn. An example is while using the elliptical marquee tool I could hold down the shift key to constrain (works fine) and use the spacebar to move the elliptical selection to it's desired space. This worked great for selecting something as simple as a ball, as the starting point of the marquee could be moved while drawing to the desired ending point position. Is this feature gone? I now use Photoshop 2024 - version 25.0.0 on a mac.

If this feature is gone is there a way to recreate it in prefs or tool shortcuts?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@olvea30296313 it's working fine with Photoshop version 25.0 on Windows 10 for me, have you tried manually resetting your Photoshop preferences
https://helpx.adobe.com/ie/photoshop/using/preferences.html#Manually
Remember to backup your settings before doing the preference reset
https://helpx.adobe.com/ie/photoshop/using/preset-migration.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines