• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Must resize photo to square from 1920x1080

Explorer ,
Oct 07, 2023 Oct 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to post a photo of 1920x1080 and be square. How do I make a square with those dimensions? Thank you.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 07, 2023 Oct 07, 2023

You are welcome! If there re any further questions, we're here.

-edit- By the way, if you want to scale it down further and end up with white edges, you can fill them with Content-Aware and other methods.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Crop, leave blank edges - or squeeze.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I crop to 5x5, the dimensions are lost -- as in 1920x1080. I am assuming those are pixel dimensions which are required for decent resolution?? I start out with 3264 x 2448 hoping that would maintain the dimensions as required. 

I am on PS elements 18 -- windows 11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can either crop to 1080 x 1080 pixels, or expand to 1920 x 1920 pixels, leaving black borders top and bottom. Or you could uncheck "constrain proportions" and squeeze the whole thing into 1080 x 1080, distorting the image.

Those are the options. There are no other possibilities.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to do this all the time for Instagram posts. Can you post a screenshot? You will have to make some adjustments, as @D Fosse said. I often do leave some blank edges. But let's see the image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much. The photo is for a NYTimes puzzle shot. 

This is a lousy example as I was just playing with the dimensions. This is not the one I would be submitting but I am sure it will work just to get me to the point of being able to meet their requirements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome! I think the best option is to go with the 1080x1080 square to svoid blank edges:

-File>new

-Enter 1080x1080px, 300dpi (or whatever it might be to match the original image)

-Drag the original image over to it

-Scale it down to taste

a1.jpga2.jpga3.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This gives the right pixel dimensions and the right size -- I am insufferably bad at this resizing and re- fitting -- I see what you have done and I do so appreciate your help. I will have to play with it for a bit. When I figure out what you have so beautifully laid out, and I can then do it, I will post!  Bad eyes and old age don't help but I'll get there. Thank you again. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome! If there re any further questions, we're here.

-edit- By the way, if you want to scale it down further and end up with white edges, you can fill them with Content-Aware and other methods.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright!

Not familiar with "content-aware" but I'll check it out. Again, thank you for your fine input and help.

I used PSE9 for many years. When I tried to install on new pc, serial # was disallowed. So I was offered PSE18.. it is very different in many ways so will take me a while to get it. Thank you again. I'll work on it!..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 08, 2023 Oct 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think I did it. I created a new blank page with the 1080 dimensions. I opened my image and somehow managed to place it on that blank 1080 page. It had small areas of white at top and bottom so I pulled the image up a little on both areas. I was afraid that would distort the image but if it did, it certainly doesn't show. 

Now if I wanted to do any size editing of that image before placing it, that's when I would do it - sounds like a dumb question but if I wanted to get rid what I would consider extraneous items in the picture - I could do it. Thanks very much again.

I am so happy I also figured out how to post a question on this site. It seemed a little obscure but finally got it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines