Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My line tool is creating rectangles

New Here ,
Oct 05, 2021 Oct 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

So I already saw someone else ask a similar question however the Adobe people who replied were not at all helpful on that post so I am going to ask myself and make it super clear so that there is no confusion. So here is my problem:

I've never had this issue before. I am using the most updated version of Photoshop. I am trying to create a singular line using the line tool. Whenever I use the line tool, it turns it into a very thin rectangle. It is deceiving at first because it looks like one line, however, it provides 6 points overlapping each other, which indicates that it is a rectangle (cause it is) I reset the tool already but it still does this. 

I want to specifically use a dashed line, however because the line tool creates a rectangle, the dashed line looks funny because it is essentially two lines overlapping each other. 

I have seen moderators say that the tool has always been like this, which I absolutely beg to differ and I am sure other artists will too. So either give me an alternative tool in photoshop to use as a line tool or Ill have to literally create dashed lines in a another program and drag them in which all sounds ridiculous. 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The line tool changed his behavior I think in PS 2018... (not sure..(

So people are complaining about it a lot and trying to get the PS team to change it back!

What I do is the following (as a designer)

Use lines and arrows in Illustrator and place it as a smart object.

Or make sure the line has no fill. only stroke.... and I can use it as a line...

And yes, changes in the software can be painful,,,=especially when you do not know why they did it...

Screen Shot 2021-10-05 at 7.52.58 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2021-10-05 at 8.03.23 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2022 Aug 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used 'adobe chat' for this issue as suddenly my line tool no longer can be used.... to create lines? As you say, it creates rectangles now so now unable to make a dashed line! 

Adobe had no idea how to fix the problem... very very bizzare. none of my colleagues have this issue using the same laptop and upgraded version as me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 22, 2022 Aug 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe changed this a couple of times, first by eliminating the regular line, and then by adding it back in.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/line-tool.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2023 Mar 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I was getting mad with this too, but I finally found the reason. Just change the weight to zero pixels and "Ta daaaaa", your next line will ba a single line, not a box

line_weight.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2023 Mar 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! This fixed the issue for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2023 Sep 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my god thank you so much! This totally fixed my issue! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2024 Jan 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

BINGO! this was the fix

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2023 Sep 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was giving me trouble too and none of the "fixes" mentioned in your replies solved it for me. Then I thought of using the pen tool instead and it completely avoids the nonesense of the line tool. You can draw the "line" with two points of the pen tool, then stay on the layer but switch to the line tool and you can manipulate your "line" with the line tool menus. Hope this helps! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 13, 2023 Sep 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The line tool can be confusing, and especially when creating dashed lines IME, but it is mostly straight forward if you look at the Options Bar setting.  If you look at the settings below, the Line is set to 20 pixels, but fill is turned off and stroke set to 3 pixels, so it makes sense that the line it produces is a hollow rectangle with a 3 pixel stroke. 

image.png

If we do that again but turn Fill on and Stroke off, we get a solid line that is 20 pixels wide.

image.png

A line with a dashed stroke is basically a rectangle if the line has more than a fe pixels thickness, so still predictable

image.png

It's when we want to create a dashed line, as opposed to rectangle, that it can be confusing, and I can remember struggling with this in the past.  You need to turn fill off and set the stroke to the require line thickness.  You can just about see that I have the Weight set to 1 pixel.  You can edit this as you make the line using the More Options drop down, and get real time results.

image.png

However, in reality, the line with its stroke, is still effectively a rectangle, so we can get this situation

image.png

But fine tuning the gap fixes this

image.png

I feel sure there is a proper formula for making dashed lines, so please share if you know it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines