• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

my photoshop 5.5 does not work in Windows 10? Why?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2015 Sep 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My old Photoshop 5.5 does not work in Windows 10, is there anything i can do to make it work?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Sep 04, 2015 Sep 04, 2015

Are you talking about PS 5.5 that was release 16 years ago? While I think I've heard one person say they got that working, it is such an old program that it is not meant to run on modern OSs. It's a 32bit program, and I believe you have to have your hard drive partitioned off to be under 1TB, or it won't install. There is also the consideration of folder names. The default is to load programs (at least in Win) into the c:\program files folder, which is meant for 64 bit programs. PS 5.5 needs to

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Sep 04, 2015 Sep 04, 2015

In case your wondering, photoshop 5.5 and ImageReady 2.0 do work on windows 10.

Though i think going back to windows 7 is probably good until microsoft gets some of kinks worked out in windows 10.

Screenshot (100).jpg

Screenshot (102).jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2015 Sep 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Grr .... It did not work with me, the way I did. The program was opened but then it was just and spun. I could not do anything in the program. Windows 10 has many bugs that need to be fixed up. Now I'm back in the windows, now everything works like clockwork again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2015 Oct 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Can you please help me soo I can use my old Photoshop in Win10?

I have tried to copy the Photoshop folder in to the computer and right click and drive as administrator, but it don´t work.

Please help me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought you went back to windows 7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did it, but put the win10 again to make an effort to make it work. Can you help me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Were you actually able to get photoshop 5.5 to install by:

Copying the contents from your photoshop 5.5 cd to your desktop.

Then find the Adobe Photoshop folder

Right click on the Setup.exe and click on Run as Administrator

If you got 5.5 to install what happens when you try to start it?

Is your windows 10 a 32 or 64 bit version?

If you go to

Windows 10 32 bit

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop 5.5

or

Windows 10 64 bit

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Photoshop 5.5

right click on the Photoshp.exe and click on Run as Administrator, does that make any difference?

Screenshot-(107).png

If you actually got photoshop 5.5 to install on windows 10, but it still won't start, it may be that you won't be able to get it to work for whatever reason and should consider getting a newer version of photoshop like cs6 or photoshop cc

or maybe even photoshop elements 14 or go back to windows 7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 01, 2015 Nov 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have PS5.5 running on my laptop (Windows 10 64 bit) but I can not install it on desktop Win 10 (64bit). PRobably I could install it when I had W7 on the laptop, then I upgraded from Microsoft to W10. That means we can run it.

I am not able to start the SETUP file even though I try to use "Run as Administrator". The installation process never starts.

I tried to trick, I copied the Photosho5,5  installation directory under ProgramFiles(86)/Adobe directory of the laptop to desktop PC but it does not open. What other directories should I copy for the PS5.5 to run?

Regards

Metin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 01, 2015 Nov 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot install software by copying the installation directory. You need to get the installer to run. If it will. If there's an MSI you could try double clicking on that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2019 Apr 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I very much appreciated your contribution to this thread.  I used your suggestion to install PS5.5 from the original CD, and it was totally trouble-free.  Your post gave me the inspiration to try directly (by copying to the desktop) versus some other approaches I was considering trying.  Then I found installing Acrobat 8.1 also works on my Windows 10 machine.  I am thrilled I don't need to buy new SW.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 25, 2021 Jul 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

CS5 is also working under Windows 10!

I'm locking this discussion because all has been said.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2015 Nov 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used Photoshop 5 LE on Windows XP SP3. When I upgraded to Windows 10. I had problem re-installing.

My Solution...

I simply copied the files and directories from my old working copy C:\Windows\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop 5.0 LE

into the following on my new Windows 10

C:\Windows\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Photoshop 5.0 LE

Then from Windows Explorer I ran the program file photosle.exe using the right click and using Troubleshoot Compatibility

(Windows 10 can run in XP SP3 compatible mode for older programs)

When Photoshop started up, I had to reset the plug-in directory. Now it works fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2016 Sep 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

poglecraftycarper-

That worked for me, thank you!!  PS5LE is still my go to app, haven't used it since I got an 8.0/8.1 laptop.  Tried again earlier to see if I could get it installed from the disc, no way.

Had read about missing dll files, etc.

Tried copying my saved and backed up PS5LE XP files from a back up drive, made the Adobe folder in x86 as you suggested, it started up!  Since Aug 2013 have not been able to use this, thanks so much.

It did have a small window open that said can not open because of a missing SPROF32.dll file, closed that, it did open, was able to use it.

Thanks again,

ko57

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines