• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need help installing Photoshop CS6 upgrade from 2012

New Here ,
Oct 16, 2021 Oct 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using PS for many years, and my latest version is CS6. I have the original DVD, which I believe was an upgrade I purchased. I want to move PS from my old Win8 PC to a Win10 PC. I deactivated PS on the Win8 box, and ran the installer from the DVD on the Win10 box. Everything was find until I entered the serial number from the DVD box. The installer wants a serial number from a previous version. No problem (I thought), because my account shows FIVE previous versions that I've registered over the years.

But the linstaller's ist of "qualifying programs" doesn't list any of my previously registered versions. Mine go from "VersionCS2" to "Version10.0" but the installer starts at CS3, then lists a bunch of "CS3 Extended" versions, then CS4 and CS5.

The installer won't accept any the serial number from any of my registered versions, regardless of which version I select in the installer.

Adobe won't help. They say they don't support CS6, and I should ask here.

Any ideas on how to get CS6 installed on my new Win10 machine?

Thanks.

Mike Dodd

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have an "CS6 upgrade version" and the policy only allowed CS3-CS5 as a qualifying product. So inputting a registered serial number from CS2 won't work. No way around that.

I'd recommend the $10 monthly plan, but if you don't want it, Photoshop Elements is the way to go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't believe the old serial number servers are even active to check a serial number so yeah, you're at the end of this path, you'll need to upgrade to a modern version. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't use any cloud-based application because of metered Internet data with a monthly data cap.

I did manage to get the installer to proceed. I kept choosing various PS versions and pasting in serial numbers. Lo! one combination worked!

So this particular issue is SOLVED. I sure hope I don't need to do this again! If so, I just might switch to Th GIMP.

- - Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@miked74950574 wrote:

I can't use any cloud-based application because of metered Internet data with a monthly data cap.

Sure you can (at least for Photoshop and it's 'need' to access the net. It is TINY when it rarely needs to do so. 

The Creative Cloud software verifies the account status on Adobe servers once a day. If the account is in good standing (that is, payment is up-to-date) when the last verification happens, the software status refreshes to run for at least 99 days offline.
https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/manage-apps-services-desktop.html

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that information. I didn't realize that's how it works. But the price is too steep for my limited hobby budget. I use Photoshop and illustrator, and they appear to cost $21/month each. That's a lot. Now that I have PS and Illustrator on the new machine, I think I'll stick with them.

--- Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@miked74950574 wrote:

But the price is too steep for my limited hobby budget.

The 'solution' is easy: Adobe Elements. A modern version of course. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe Premier Elements. They both have a bunch of cool features for family photography, but I use PS as the final step in my astronomy imaging (http://astronomy.mdodd.com/main-nebulae.html). I do most of the processing in PixInsight, and probably could do it all there, but PS has adjustment layers that are very handy to blink to see how an adjustment changes an image.

We'll see. For now, I have PS working on the new Win 10 box. If that ever fails, I'll definitely consider Elements. Thank you for the suggestion.

--- Mike

x (x)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 17, 2021 Oct 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop is from US$10 per month ("Photography plan").

CS6 was excellent software but I suggest you install antique software on antique systems, rather than expecting it to keep working on the latest...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 17, 2021 Oct 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you have a CS6 DVD with a Upgrade Licence it could only be upgraded from CS5.  To install it on a machine you will need your CS5 and CS6 serial during the install and activation process.   If CS5 is not installed on the machine. Both your serials should be shown in your Adobe Account when you sign in at Adobe.com for your registered products. .image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines